White House Seeks Ban on Religious Tea

Lord_of_the_Dense

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration asked the Supreme Court on Thursday to block a New Mexico church from using hallucinogenic tea that the government contends is illegal and potentially dangerous.

The appeal from Attorney General Alberto Gonzales argues that a lower court was wrong to allow the Brazil-based O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal to import and use the hoasca tea as part of its religious services.

"The court's decision has mandated that the federal government open the nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a mind-altering hallucinogen and threatens to inflict irreparable harm on international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics trafficking," the filing states.

Read entire story here.

so alberto (torture-fuck) g thinks the lower court was wrong? who the fuck is he to dick w/religions about which he knows nothing? asshole... :mad:

I wonder if I can start me a little church and claim that LSD and cocaine are central to my beliefs. Then I can legally import the drugs.

If you let someone do it you have to let everyone do it. The article makes no mention of exactly what the drug is or if it is on a list of illegal in the US drugs. If it is on the list then I don't think they should be allowed to import it.

I wonder if I can start me a little church and claim that LSD and cocaine are central to my beliefs. Then I can legally import the drugs.

The tea people should be free to have what ever sacraments they want. Indians have been using peyote in this manner for years. Problem is--it's hard to tell people what religion is valid or not--take Scientology-- If on the other hand, the whole things is a fraude to just do drugs, that would be another story.

My problem is this: the Bush administration imposes their religious values upon the public, even though the church is supposed to separate from the state. Then they judge others behaviors and beliefs.

My problem is this: the Bush administration  imposes their religious values upon the public, even though the church is supposed to separate from the state.  Then they judge others behaviors and beliefs.

haven't you gotten the memo yet? that's cause they can--the preznit's the new betty bowers (god's no. 1 on his speed-dial...or maybe it's jesus; i keep getting them all mixed up)