Asian Tsunami "wonderful opportunity" for the US

Kooperman

Rice Says Tsunami Was "wonderful Opportunity" to Show Good Side of United States

Published: Jan 18, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State-designate Condoleezza Rice said Tuesday the Asian tsunami was "a wonderful opportunity" to show the world the compassionate side of the United States, which has responded with a massive military aid effort and millions of dollars in private donations for the ravaged countries.

The comment drew the ire of Sen. Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat who had some of the sharpest exchanges with Rice during her Senate confirmation hearing. She criticized Rice for seemingly making light of the Dec. 26 catastrophe that killed 170,000 people in 11 countries.

Rice, the White House national security adviser, was responding to another senator's comments on how poorly the United States is viewed in parts of the world.

"I think what we're doing in the tsunami right now is wonderful," said Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich.

To that, Rice said: "Senator, first of all, I do agree that the tsunami was a wonderful opportunity to show not just the U.S. government, but the heart of the American people. And I think it has paid great dividends for us."

When it was Boxer's turn to speak, the senator gave Rice - who appeared headed for Senate confirmation as the next secretary of state - a lesson in diplomatic talk.

"Now, the tsunami was one of the worst tragedies of our lifetime, one of the worst, and it's going to have a 10-year impact on rebuilding that area," Boxer said. "I was very disappointed in your statement. I think you blew the opportunity."

Other U.S. officials have also noted a silver lining for the United States in the tsunami tragedy.

Secretary of State Colin Powell, during a trip to the damaged area earlier this month, said U.S. assistance may lessen anti-American sentiments in the Muslim world.

"I hope that as a result of our efforts, as a result of our helicopter pilots being seen by the citizens of Indonesia helping them, that value system of ours will be reinforced," Powell said then.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB55TSV44E.html

Secretary of State Colin Powell, during a trip to the damaged area earlier this month, said U.S. assistance may lessen anti-American sentiments in the Muslim world.

does anyone (apart from me) remember that bush took 3 days responding and then offered a measly 15$ mil at the start? last week the NYT 'forgot' as well, citing his crappy 30 or 35$ mil as amerika's starting point. damn liberal media. :lol:

I remember that slum.

I don't know any "rich" country that didn't do what the US and it's people did so tell Rice to stop showing off. I bet she didn't donate one cent from her personal money either.

I wish Rice was there on some beach while the tsunami came. That would have been a "wonderful opportunity" wouldn't it?

i might be wrong, but i believe i remember that the UK came up w/a whole lot more money than the US at first (too sleepy to google now).

personally, i'd rather have ALL of bushCo (or just the squatter hisself) go down in whatever natural (or un-natural) disaster than just condi. here's hoping. *clink* :)

i might be wrong, but i believe i remember that the UK came up w/a whole lot more money than the US at first (too sleepy to google now).

Greece was 5th in the world considering people's donations and we are only about 11 million souls here but competing in times like this is really dumb.

Remember thatdonation I told you about in my bar? Well, someone donated a 100 euro bill but I don't know who it is. That's what donation is. Do it and don't brag about it.

BTW that 100 euros more to what Rice donated

I am so to see glad other people's misery is working out  so great for Condi and the rest of the gang.  <_>

yep, just like bush owns 9/11 and that bit of rubble downtown where the towers used to stand (as far as the rest of NY goes, fuck 'em--we're a blue state). :mad: