This Day in Music History

Kooperman

May 07

2005 - A 3 to 1 move on Billboard's Hot 100 for Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" ends the nine-week reign of 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" featuring Olivia, which slips to No. 3.

2003 - London's Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) formally cautions Pete Townshend for "accessing a Web site containing child abuse images" in 1999. 2002 - The Rolling Stones arrive by blimp at New York's Van Cortland Park to announce their 2002/2003 world tour.

2000 - A small but enthusiastic audience turns out to see vocalist Patti Page in a special concert at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. Celebrating the release of a new album, "Brand New Tennessee Waltz," the 72-year-old singer entertains a crowd that includes EmmyLou Harris, Duane Allen of the Oak Ridge Boys & Radney Foster.

1999 - Latin music sensation Ricky Martin is named international breakthrough artist of the year at the inaugural MTV-CCTV Music Honors, an awards show that pays tribute to international artists who have made significant contributions to China's music industry.

1998 - Tens of thousands of young fans shut down central Tokyo to traffic in an outpouring of grief for X-Japan guitarist Hideto "Hide" Matsumoto, who hanged himself five days earlier. One fan follows him in suicide, and two others make an attempt.

1998 - Beck blurs yet more artistic lines with a performance art piece and multimedia presentation of work made by himself and his late grandfather, the Fluxus artist Al Hansen. Beck performs "New Age Evisceration 1" as part of a gala celebrating the re-opening of the Santa Monica Museum of Art.

1990 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "Nothing Compares 2 U," Sinead O'Connor. The million-selling single is the Irish rocker's only top 40 hit. It is written by Prince.

1985 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "Crazy for You," Madonna.

Read more at

Billboard

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1967 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "The Happening," The Supremes. The song is the group's last single.

I didn't know that. :huh:

1959 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "The Happy Organ," Dave Cortez.

Nice instrumental 4sure. :)

Not to be confused with the one in my pants that does most of my thinking. :happy:

I didn't know that. :huh:

Nice instrumental 4sure. :)

Not to be confused with the one in my pants that does most of my thinking. :happy:

the latter must keep your filly's happy :)

post-9-1146983321_thumb.jpg

On May 8th, the following songs were at the top of the charts:

Stuck on You - Elvis Presley

Sink the Bismarck - Johnny Horton

Sixteen Reasons - Connie Stevens

He’ll Have to Go - Jim Reeves

Honey - Bobby Goldsboro

Tighten Up - Archie Bell & The Drells

Young Girl - The Union Gap

The Legend of Bonnie and Clyde - Merle Haggard

Welcome Back - John Sebastian

Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale

Boogie Fever - Sylvers

My Eyes Can Only See as Far as You - Charley Pride

Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) - Phil Collins

Hello - Lionel Richie

Hold Me Now - The Thompson Twins

I Guess It Never Hurts to Hurt Sometimes - The Oak Ridge Boys

Source: Those Were the Days

Forgive us if we don't keep up every day with this thread :o Ok, on this day...May 17...

In 1975 - Elton John’s Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy album was released and turned platinum - the first certified million seller (in this case, a two-million seller) on the first day it was issued.

In 2006 - Happy Birthday - Taj Majal, Trent Reznor and Dennis Hopper

• 1 month later...