Facebook Wants All Its Users To Have Their '15 Minutes Of Fame' As Advertising Sponsors

DudeAsInCool

The New York Times reports today that Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, "wants to turn every member into a spokesman for its advertisers. Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and chief executive of the superhot social network, today announced what the company calls “social ads.”

Facebook now will give advertisers the ability to create their own profile pages on its system that will let users identify themselves as fans of a product. Each user’s news feed will contain items like “Bobby Smith is now a fan of Toyota Prius.”

I guess that's one way to fill up those 65 billion on Facebook.

I'm not sure whether his members will want to open themselve up to the advertising world or not as sponsors, or whether this will be viewed as a turnoff. Andy Warhol predicted that in the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes--maybe this is. If I was getting a cut for being a fanboy of Coca-Cola, Mercedes and everything Apple, then I might go along--but if not, I'd probably pass.

Any thoughts?

Read More@The NYTimes

The NYTimes today on Facebook's social advertising experiment is interesting:

Are Facebook’s Social Ads Illegal?

Mark Zuckerberg promised no less than a revolution with his idea that ads you see on Facebook will be attached to the names and photos of your friends who like the products being advertised.

There is at least one problem with this idea: It may be illegal under a 100-year-old New York privacy law. The statute says that “any person whose name, portrait, picture, or voice is used within this state for advertising purposes or for the purposes of trade without the written consent first obtained” can sue for damages. Moreover, such a use is also a criminal misdemeanor.

Read More

More concern about Facebook's invasion of privacy. This new advertising feature is nothing more than spyware by the sounds of it.

From The Idea Shower:

The problem however is, that even though you can choose whether or not it is made public that you visited these sites, Facebook still has the data regardless of your privacy settings. Now I don’t mean to sound like I’m tin-foil-hat-wearing paranoid, but that does seem to encroach a little past what Facebook’s role in my life should be.

Worth reading - there is even more to it than meets the eye...

http://www.ideashower.com/blog/block-facebook-beacon/

Greg Benedetto believes in the old adage "the customer comes first." He worked for Canada's HMV record chain for two years as a teenager and, in that time, learned a thing or two about getting people to buy things. "A customer who is treated well probably won't say anything," he says. "But a customer who is treated poorly will tell everyone they know." And that is exactly what Benedetto plans to do if Facebook's new targeted ad campaign gets out of hand. Already Benedetto has invited all 562 of his Facebook friends to join the group Stand Up! Don't Let Facebook Invade Your Social Life With Ads!

:link: