Some other opinions

Shawn

Hey guys and gals.

I don't typically ask for much tech help since I have some training/experience with electronics/computers, so basically I ask about the tricky stuff.

Here's what happened. When my computer has a major fault, boots or shuts down... I have this shouted at me. I had plopped in front of the tv for a few minutes tonight when the clip played.

Upon the screen was winpatrol's Scotty asking me if I approved of a program called dump-reg.exe being added to my start-up. A look around told me that Norton was somehow turned off.

There are 3-4 things suggesting I was hacked/have a virus. Here is the thing...I cannot find shite. No virus's found by norton or trend-online. I'm hardware firewalled. Only 1 of the three computers that were booted and running behind the firewall was affected.

WTF?

DUMPREP creates memory dump reports that you can send to Microsoft if you answer "Yes" when prompted to send such reports. In our experience this entry only shows up for the first time after your PC has experienced a Windows XP "dump" crash, or an Office XP or Internet Explorer 6 crash where you were prompted about sending the crash results to Microsoft.

Recommendation :

It is our experience that having Error Reporting set to ON only causes more crashes. The mind boggles at this : in both Netscape and Internet Explorer our experience shows that if you turn error reporting ON, you will crash often in either browser, if not sometimes always !! You’ve guessed it, avoid Error Reporting like the plague. In both Windows XP and Windows 2003 turn it OFF by opening the SYSTEM icon in the Control Panel, choosing the ADVANCED tab, and then clicking on Error Reporting."

I suppose it would help if I had spent more time making sure I read it right instead of launching into looking. A program crashed, which brought up this shite. If it read that DUMPREP wasn't loading in start-up already, the file itself is probably corrupted.