full hard drive

rainbowdemon

Depends on your plans for the other three. Are they full too? Do they have specific purposes? Can any of them be combined? I'm sure your next step, if you need to upgrade, would be to replace one of the remaining three. I would go with the one that has the least storage or, if that's the one with your OS, the next one up. Maybe provide us with a breakdown of the 4 drives and the current/maximum capacity of each along with what populates a majority of each respective drive.

I don't see any problems other than the mental anguish it gives you that you can no longer add anything to this drive. :wacko:

What really burns my ass is that there are almost 33 gigs missing here. The rated sizes total 470 gigs. But the useable sizes come to 436.8 gigs.

i have the same trouble with a 65gig maxtor that i store mp3`s on...rateable size 65gig...useable size...57gig...8 gig missing.....and have you noticed that when you are running NTFS and use xp`s built - in defrag that it sometimes registers a decrease in the size of the volume as well. when i use, say..diskeeper for instance it shows the correct size.....i have been told that hard drive manufacturers lock up or block off a certain amount of space by default on a new volume for some reason...has anyone heard of this???

Edited by kiwibank

This may help. It's all binary and stuff.

BOX - (Box Bytes divided by 1024 = actual GB) Imagined Lost space

250 - (250,000,000,000 bytes / 1024 = 244.14GB usable ) Lost 5.86GB

40 - (40,000,000,000 / 1024 = 39.06GB usable) Lost .94GB

100 - (100,000,000,000 / 1024 = 97.66GB usable) Lost 3.33GB

80 - (80,000,000,000 / 1024 = 78.13GB usable) Lost 1.87GB

Totals:

470 - (470,000,000,000 / 1024 = 459.98GB usable) Lost 10.02 GB

By "Box" I mean what is advertised on the box you bought/acquired.

The advertising says what it does for sake of even numbers. In all cases, the usable amount rounded up to the nearest 10 (250, 40, 100, 80) should equal what you were "promised." For the sake of Bytes, divided by 1,000,000,000, you got what you paid for. When viewed as GB, you gotta do the binary thing and divide by 1024. This would appear that you are getting the shaft.

It will probably always be this way, even when we hit Terabytes (1,000,000,000,000 bytes).

Welcome to the digital nightmare. :evil:

ps - I know some of these may not add up perfectly, but you get the idea of it hopefully.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. But it still sucks!!

:)

hello much space you have lost maybe with using XP system recovery [herstel in dutch] you have to clean up this recovery points maybe is that the problem :o

only need to stay is the last recovery point

you can find it in Computer ... Properties .. start and recovery

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE

Actually, that makes perfect sense. But it still sucks!!

:)

hello much space you have lost maybe with using XP system recovery [herstel in dutch] you have to clean up this recovery points maybe is that the problem :o

only need to stay is the last recovery point

you can find it in Computer ... Properties .. start and recovery

and using CC cleaner wil help to

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE

note

from a WD 40 gb harddisc you can use only about 37 gb the rest does the Computer need for all kind of things needed to do what you want to do

from Samsung 120 gb harddisc is it about 111 gb that you can use same story like above

so clean up the harddisc can help sometimes...put all the coockies in the recycle bin wil help

USE the Disc Clean Up Button

and don,t forget for marketting reasons, 250 80 40 60 or 120 gb looks much better

than as example 111 gb or 238 so its an easy way to find out ..... 1024 mb is 1 gb thats

the way you have to look to your harddisc :read this: :read this:

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE

don't forget that several XP services take a lot of space without mentioning anything. Indexing service and System Restore are the worst.

Don't forget to clear the restore from time to time

i always remove or disable any and all windows services (hidden and unhidden) that i don`t use or that really aren`t needed...i always disable indexing and system restore (i use erunt instead as a system recovery tool)...i have used crap cleaner and it does seem to free up hd space quite well.........

Right. My examples were strictly "out of the box" losses. All those hidden files and system restore files can eat up even more. On my new comp, they were "nice" enough to have partitioned a "D" drive on my 160 strictly for system recovery. I suppose in the long run it's for the best.

• 1 year later...
note

from a WD 40 gb harddisc you can use only about 37 gb the rest does the Computer need for all kind of things needed to do what you want to do

from Samsung 120 gb harddisc is it about 111 gb that you can use same story like above

so clean up the harddisc can help sometimes...put all the coockies in the recycle bin wil help

USE the Disc Clean Up Button

and don,t forget for marketting reasons, 250 80 40 60 or 120 gb looks much better

than as example 111 gb or 238 so its an easy way to find out ..... 1024 mb is 1 gb thats

the way you have to look to your harddisc :read this: :read this:

so harddisc again :D :D :D

I have 4 hard drives. This is the biggest one. And it's also the one with all of my shared material. Will this cause problems? This thing is FULL!! But what really pisses me off is this is a 250 gig drive.

I have three 250 gig hard drives, one is completely full and i have no problems also. that are my shared files too! :bigsmile:

When I have a disk that is that full it seems to decrease performance a little. I just keep adding drives. I have 10 in this machine that are installed. At this moment I also have 4 that are hooked up but are not inside the case that I will unhook when I finish backing up some stuff.

I hope Santa brings you more drive space.

I have learned that you can't have too much drive space or too much ammo. :lol: