Tyler, The Creator Shares Thoughts On Obama And The 'N-Word' With Arsenio Hall

NelsonG

By Maurice Bobb

If you thought it seemed odd that Tyler, the Creator was a guest on "The Arsenio Hall Show" Thursday (November 7) night, you weren't alone. The confusion was short lived, though, after Arsenio revealed that his 14-year old son was a big fan of the Odd Future frontman. Tyler went on to share some very interesting thoughts on why he abstains from drugs and alchol, in addition to his thoughts on the YouTube Awards, President Barack Obama and Quincy Jones.

“Some things aren’t for everyone,” said Tyler of his choice to live drug and alcohol free. “We live in a society where a lot of people are followers and they can’t make their set opinions. I have friends going to college for stuff their parents want them to go for and they’re not happy or anything. I just try to tell people to think for themselves and they’ll be way happier in the long run.”

By this time, the rapper/producer/designer/director had gotten pretty comfy on Arsenio’s sofa, putting his feet up and stretching out as he waxed poetic about various topics, “This couch is comfortable, they like black people on this network, this is crazy.”

Even though he was a performer for the inaugural YouTube Awards, Tyler still had some mixed feelings about how the show’s format.

“You would think that they would use that platform to give creative people who’s not on the Top 20 Billboards a chance to actually get recognition for being creative and innovative,” he said. “Instead, they did the same thing that the VMAs or the Billboard Pop Awards did with the Katy Perrys and the Justin Biebers. It’s actually a group of people who don’t listen to the radio and are sick of seeing the same weak stuff every day.”

For the rest of the interview, Arsenio fired off topics and the Wolf MC answered in his usual off-kilter way.

The N-word: “That’s just a word, you can take the power out of that word. Anybody can be that (n-word). I called the white dude in the back an N-word earlier. He got nervous.”

Obama: “I realized that he’s a n-word that figured it out.”

Quincy Jones: “Dude Quincy Jones is sick! I love fusion jazz and all that stuff and he has a song called ‘You Put A Move On My Heart’ with Tamia and the chords in there are so awesome I stole ‘em like a bunch of times. And ‘Body Heat’ is one of my favorite records. And! and and and, contrary to popular belief, Off The Wall is amazing.”

Odd Future’s carnival, Camp Flog Gnaw: “I’m actually throwing a carnival Saturday cuz I like carnivals and I’m in a position to do awesome stuff like that, so if you’re not weird or nothing, come to the carnival Saturday. It’s at the L.A. Coliseum and I’m gonna be onstage yelling for a hour and probably doing other weird stuff.”

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/11/08/tyler-the-creator-shares-thoughts-on-obama-and-the-n-word-with-arsenio-hall/]View the full article[/url]