Kentucky Sen. Bunning in Flap Over His Health

Shawn

Kentucky's largest newspaper on Thursday urged Republican Sen. Jim Bunning (news, bio, voting record) to answer questions about his mental health because his behavior as he seeks a second term is troubling voters.

But the 72-year-old Bunning's campaign manager called the request disgraceful and said the former baseball player is as sharp and fit as he was when he pitched a perfect game for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1964.

After the debate Bunning accused his opponent's staff of physically assaulting his wife in Kentucky last summer, leaving her "black and blue" -- a charge the newspaper called "the most outlandish so far." His opponent the charge was "sad" and not true.

Earlier Bunning said his Italian-American opponent's physical features made him look like a son of Saddam Hussein -- a remark for which he later apologized.

Reuters by way of Yahoo

That's happening here in my town, and it's a dandy story. The Republicans are trying to sneak Bunning through the election by hiding him away...they're afraid of what he might say or do. If they can get him re-elected in this Republican climate Kentucky currently has, then speculation is that Bunning will then resign and our despised Republican governor Ernie Fletcher ( the bozo whose plane was almost shot down in Washington D.C. during Ronald Reagan funeral ceremonies....) will name himself to serve out the rest of Bunning's term. Fletcher is so hated by Kentuckians that it's the only way he could ever get another elected office.

http://www.dailykos.com/section/Senate2004

I've been refraining from posting many political stories lately because there seems to be so little interest....glad to see one hitting the board.

Bunning's Deterioration Has Hit The Tipping Point

by Trapper John

Fri Oct 15th, 2004 at 14:26:27 GMT

For the past week or so, Kos has been on the strange and sad story of Jim Bunning's (R-KY) slide into dementia. Well, the story has acquired real legs. Yesterday's Louisville Courier-Journal -- the paper with the largest circulation in Kentucky -- features an editorial openly questioning Bunning's fitness to serve:

. . .his attacks on his opponent, Daniel Mongiardo, and the outrageous statements he has made in his rare public appearances are giving voters pause.

They are raising questions about Sen. Bunning's suitability for office. Is he, as he ages, just becoming a more concentrated version of himself: more arrogant, more prickly? Certainly that would be a normal occurrence.

Or is his increasing belligerence an indication of something worse? Has Sen. Bunning drifted into territory that indicates a serious health concern?

. . . There is, of course, an easy way for Sen. Bunning to end what has become national speculation about his fitness. He could call press conferences throughout the state, stand before the public and say, "Here I am. Ask me questions. You'll see how fit I am."

Successful, reasonable public interaction would be far more reassuring than statements from doctors that his blood pressure and cholesterol are OK.

That, of course, is important information. This time, however, the concern isn't about physical health.

The story has also been picked up by the national media. Bunning is fast nearing the point where he's either going to have prove his competence or be judged incompetent. The $200,000 injection provided to Dan Mongiardo by the DSCC is going to help force the issue.

Senate Elections 2004 :: Link & Discuss (88 comments)

He claimed his opponent, Doctor Dan Mongiardo, looks like one of Saddam's sons....he claims a labor union endorsed him, when it didn't....he has a state trooper follow him around, when he's out, because he says he's a target of Al Quida....he says his wife was roughed up by his opponents at a very public picnic....he's apparently unable to coherently speak in public any more, avoiding debating his opponent in Kentucky so he could go to Washington and read his remarks off a teleprompter....stuff like that

Kentucky Educational Television (KET) had a debate tonight for that Senatorial seat...Jim Bunning did not show up. His opponent, Dan Mongiardo got the whole 30 minute show to himself. The two largest newspapers in Kentucky, one in Louisville and one in Lexington, have both endorsed Mongiardo's candidacy...yet Bunning still shows a lead in the polls. Proof positive that brain-dead Republicans hang together.

Kentucky Educational Television (KET) had a debate tonight for that Senatorial seat...Jim Bunning did not show up. His opponent, Dan Mongiardo got the whole 30 minute show to himself.

He went to a debate and was the only one there......and still lost. :lol:

Bizarro Bunning moments end up in ads

Now we know why Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning's handlers have been so afraid to let him interact spontaneously with the public and the press. He's saying some really whacked-out things -- and they're ending up just where the Republicans feared: in a campaign ad.

After telling reporters recently that he doesn't read newspapers or follow the national news, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee taped a TV ad asking if that's why Bunning didn't know that 79,000 Kentucky children lack health insurance when he voted against a bill to expand coverage. The ad called Bunning "out of touch." The irony is that Bunning made the damaging comments in an impromptu news conference held last week to dispel questions about his mental competence. He hasn't helped himself much in recent days, though: Bunning recently decried the "November 11" terrorist attacks.

Amid poll numbers indicating the Republican incumbent could be headed for defeat on Tuesday, Bunning's surrogates have been busy trying to portray his Democratic challenger, state Sen. Daniel Mongiardo, as a homosexual. "Manhood questioned in Senate campaign; Bunning supporters ridicule Mongiardo," read the Page One headline in the Lexington Herald Leader.

Not only did one top state Republican recently refer to Mongiardo as "limp-wristed," the newspaper reported, but GOP state Sen. Elizabeth Tori asserted at a campaign stop: "I'm not even sure the word 'man' applies to him," referring to the Democrat. The comment drew laughter and applause, the newspaper reported.

In a telephone interview, Tori later told the Herald Leader coyly: "The remark is a little ambiguous, isn't it?"

from salon.com

About 4 hours ago I got a phone call from some local "polling" organization. They asked if I thought Jim Bunning should have a press conference to prove that he was mentally competent. I responded that I believe he had already had that press conference...the reponse was, "well, then you probably also are aware that his opponent is gay....thank you, click."

Quality Rove stuff there....

About 4 hours ago I got a phone call from some local "polling" organization. They asked if I thought Jim Bunning should have a press conference to prove that he was mentally competent. I responded that I believe he had already had that press conference...the reponse was, "well, then you probably also are aware that his opponent is gay....thank you, click."

Quality Rove stuff there....

That is some classy stuff.

:nope: