Tyler The Creator, Macklemore Applaud The Demise Of DOMA

NelsonG

(Macklemore on equal marriage rights)

By Maurice Bobb

Significant parts of the federal Defense of Marriage Act or DOMA were struck down as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court Wednesday (June 26) morning with a 5-4 decision. The historic ruling declared that same-sex couples who are legally married deserve equal rights to the benefits under federal law that go to all other married couples. And while most of hip-hop has yet to appreciate or acknowledge DOMA’s demise, Tyler, The Creator, perhaps the most unlikely advocate of civil rights, praised the SCOTUS decision.

"DOMA's Demise Hell Yuh," he tweeted on Wednesday after the decision had been passed down.

While Macklemore, who has been a public supporter of marriage equality, has yet to tweet about today’s ruling, he did give his followers a heads up on the cultural significance of today’s legal proceedings.

"The Supreme Court decides on DOMA and Prop 8 tomorrow," he wrote on Tuesday. "Potentially a huge day for civil rights in America. #equality"

The “Thrift Shop” MC even made an ode to marriage equality, “Same Love,” which he and Ryan Lewis performed during the Hangout Festival back in May.

"We are in a very special time in American history right now. In fact, I would say we are in the middle of the biggest civil rights movement of our generation," he said to the crowd before performing the song. "I don't know how you feel, but me personally, I believe that no government, no state, no institution, no religion, no other human being can tell you who you love in your heart is right or wrong. That is up to you. Finally in 2013 we are starting to have discussion and dialogue about the issue of marriage equality. The fear and the hatred that has been passed on from generation to generation to generation is finally starting to cease and love is prevailing all over the world. I believe in tolerance, I believe in compassion and I believe in equality."

Additionally, as part of its ruling, the SCOTUS also declared that the supporters of California's Proposition 8 do not have standing to appeal a previous court decision that ruled the law unconstitutional. It’s an unprecedented move by the SCOTUS that was overwhelmingly approved by President Barack Obama, who became the first commander in chief to publicly support gay marriage last year.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/06/26/tyler-the-creator-celebrates-the-demise-of-doma/]View the full article[/url]