Lil Snupe Remembered Through His Music

NelsonG

(Snupe and Meek talk Dreamchasers signing)

By Maurice Bobb

Lil Snupe is gone way too soon. But even though the 18-year-old was confirmed dead on Thursday morning after being shot, he lives on through his music.

The Dreamchaser didn’t have time to amass an overwhelming discography as Meek Mill’s protégé, but on his last official mixtape, R.N.I.C., the Louisiana spitter left behind some sonically potent gems.

The first thing that comes to mind when Snupe’s songs are cued up is his powerful command of rhyme structure at such an early age. He’s almost a lyrical prodigy, spitting the same earnest street pathos that his mentor made popular enough to prompt Rick Ross to take notice.

On the fluidly poignant “Nobody Does It Better,” featuring the Dreams and Nightmares MC, Snupe pays homage to fallen friends and explains what makes him grind hard body in the game, spitting lines like, “I do this for my Momma and my Daddy in the bin, all my real ni—as who held it down to the end and “Cuz they already know, if I get up in the game, I’mma have this shit on lock, ni—a.”

On “Ballin In The Mix,” featuring Grand Hustle’s own Trae Tha Truth, Snupe shows that he knows how to bounce around Houston with gregarious aplomb, dropping the clever line, “Man I run Louisiana like J Prince run Houston,” tipping his hat to the Rap-A-Lot Records pioneer. For those who’re really familiar with the H-Town sound, the phrase “Ballin In The Mix” comes from the seminal hit song that started the whole movement for Space City, “Still Tippin’.”

Lastly, “Take Over,” featuring the hitmaker himself, DJ Khaled, who calls him “the future,” delves into the youngster’s penchant for braggadocio, comparing himself to LeBron James, the NBA’s four-time MVP, “I got heat like LeBron, bitch we doin’ this for fun” and, of course, a surefire prediction, “Hating my success, cuz they know I’m up next.”

“I don’t just talk on anybody’s records, I just don’t,” says Khaled on the track. Now that’s one heck of a cosign. May Lil Snupe rest in power.

Download Lil Snupe's mixtape, R.N.I.C. on DatPiff:

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/06/20/lil-snupe-remembered-through-his-music/]View the full article[/url]