Former Nappy Roots Rapper Says He Suffered Police Abuse

NelsonG

The Fifth Annual Grand Gala

By Maurice Bobb

Ex-Nappy Roots rapper R. Prophet learned the hard way that, when it comes to getting out of a jam with police, not every musician has the benefit of widespread name recognition. The former member of the Kentucky-based collective was arrested Saturday (April 20) by Kentucky State Police for disorderly conduct, despite his attempt to pull the celebrity card, yelling out, "I'm R. Prophet!!!"  But the most disturbing details of the arrest were revealed Thursday (April 25) by TMZ, who released graphic photos of Prophet’s wounds stemming from multiple tasings.

According to the rapper born Kenneth Ryan Anthony, police tased him repeatedly despite his full cooperation as he laid helpless on the ground and handcuffed.

"I felt they were doing me like a slave,” the Oakland-bred rapper told TMZ. “I thought I was dead."

Prophet also says that when he was thrown in the back of the cruiser, he was pepper sprayed and tased again. Subsequently, Prophet said he feared for his life, believing the officers were going to "drive him somewhere and kill him." Panicked, he then gashed his head on the police cruiser window.

Not surprisingly, the trooper who apprehended Prophet has a wholly different account of the events leading up to Prophet's arrest. According to authorities, the "Run Tell The DJ To Crank it" MC was “highly intoxicated,” walked directly into traffic and was a danger to himself and others.

Three days after the incident, Prophet took to Twitter to speak on his run-in with police, tweeting, “Thanks 2 all my fam, fans, and supporters!! please keep me in your prayers! believe nothin you hear n half of what you see!”

One of the emcee’s fans, @ClemonsEvan, also commented on the situation, saying, “They still beating "ni--as" in Ky!!! Can't wait till the facts come out!!! We with you bro!!! @rprophet.”

That emotionally-charged comment suggesting racial bias was retweeted by Prophet.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/04/25/former-nappy-roots-rapper-says-he-suffered-police-abuse/]View the full article[/url]