Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back Turns 25

NelsonG

It was 1988, now 25 years ago, when Public Enemy released their seminal album It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back via Def Jam Records. The LP, recorded in New York City, was certified Platinum just four months after its release, praised by fans and critics alike for the politically and socially charged revolutionary rap that Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Terminator X and the rest of the crew were known for, led by singles like "Don't Believe the Hype."

In 2012 the album landed at  #48 on Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list, being described as "Loud, obnoxious, funky, avant-garde, political, hilarious" for it's layered production plus the mixture of Chuck D's biting social commentary and Flavor Flav's humorous lyrics. Later that year, Public Enemy became the fourth hip-hop act to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their work, which including crafting one of the most influential albums of all time.

"I had no expectations whatsoever. I set out at the beginning of my career to be as proficient as an artist, any rock band or any rap group," Chuck told MTV News after the announcement was made. "I was trained by the best from Run DMC, to Whodini, to Doug E. Fresh to Anthrax and we knew really at our best, nobody could ever mess with us."

As It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back celebrates the big 25, Flavor Flav--who has made a name for himself in reality TV of the past few years--will be hosting NextMovie's red carpet show as part of the 2013 MTV Movie Awards on Sunday night, April 14. "I'm looking forward to rockin' the red carpet the MTV Movie Awards," Flav said of his hosting gig. "I can't wait for the opportunity!"

The 2013 MTV Movie Awards air live Sunday, April 14 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT and you can watch Flavor Flav's red carpet interviews shortly after showtime on NextMovie.com.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/04/14/public-enemys-it-takes-a-nation-of-millions-to-hold-us-back-turns-25/]View the full article[/url]