Nicki Minaj Advises Female Rappers To 'Maintain Your Dignity'

NelsonG

By Maurice Bobb with reporting by Christina Garibaldi

There have quite a few female rappers that made noise in the male-dominated world of hip-hop before Nicki Minaj, but none who’ve reached the same pinnacle of success that the “American Idol” judge already has, which means one thing: she must know what she’s doing and, more importantly, what she’s not doing.

“When I started being around Young Money, Wayne thought I was shy, but it wasn’t that I was shy, I just didn’t want anybody to think I was easy,” Nicki said in response to a Twitter question from one of her Barbz during her "MTV: First interview.: “No matter what my lyrics were saying, when I got around these guys, I was a prude, because I didn’t want anyone in this game to ever be able to say ‘I had sex with her’ or ‘when she needed a deal, she had to…’ No."

And ‘til this day, not one single man in this industry can say that and I pride myself on that. That’s the only bit of advice I would give the up-and-coming female rappers. You could be as sexy as you want, but just maintain your dignity around these guys.”

When asked if there were any new female rappers in the game that she liked, the Pink Friday MC said that she didn’t want to single anyone out.

“I always feel like any female rapper that’s doing their thing that’s able to make a name for themselves or able to garner fans or whatever, I’m a fan of you,” the “High School” rapper said. “Because I know how hard it is. Like I was doing shows for 200 people and I’m proud of that. So when I see these girls doing it, I’m proud of you. Whether you hear me say your name specifically or not, I'm proud of you.”

The Young Money empress has sold millions of records and cut an amazingly colorful path as a fashionista, but when it’s all said and done, she wants to be a mogul.

“I want to be female rapper turned mogul,” she said. “I want to be the female Jay in terms of how he carved out his business because I didn't understand why female rappers—and shout out to the female rappers that came before me, I always have to say that, because I mean no disrespect. I just feel like maybe whoever was in their circles didn't really help them be all that they could be and I just decided to change that.”

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/04/06/nicki-minaj-advises-female-rappers-to-maintain-your-dignity/]View the full article[/url]