Saddam Humor From Tv Show Hosts.

HolyMoly

"Governor Pataki in New York says he knows what to do. He said we should take the toppled statues of Saddam Hussein, melt them down and put them in a new World Trade Center — to serve as a permanent reminder that America is a country that cannot tell Arabs apart." —Bill Maher

That killed me.

Well, if the truth be known about Maher's comment:

"Governor Pataki in New York says he knows what to do. He said we should take the toppled statues of Saddam Hussein, melt them down and put them in a new World Trade Center — to serve as a permanent reminder that America is a country that cannot tell Arabs apart." —Bill Maher

the same could be said about Al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Hamas. War was so much easier when combattants had national origins. But terrorism constitutes an "undiscovered country" that crosses national boundaries and ethnicity. Abu Nidal (a Palestinian) had a training camp in Baghdad (Arabs) and Hamas (Palestinians and Arabs) had a training camp in Iran (Persians). Maher's comment presupposes old "nationalist" power structures that no longer exist in the real world today.

well, like I said in another thread...

Saddam was a bastard that deserved what he got BUT let's leave it to that. Making jokes about these things on national tv is an all-american hobby that the rest of the world hates (including me).

And another thing... not all "terrorist" organisations are the same. Some country leaders prefer to call them that but some "terrorists" are actually heroes for their people (and I don't mean Al Queda). The IRA is also called "terrorist group" but they are heroes in N. Ireland. Same goes for Hamas and many others around the world. History has proven that former "terrorists" are today country leaders. Arafat was considered one of the biggest terrorists in the 70s and 80s. Today he is one of the most respected figures in the world. Also Nelson Mandella.

Saddam was a bastard that deserved what he got BUT let's leave it to that. Making jokes about these things on national tv is an all-american hobby that the rest of the world hates (including me).

Bashing America on national tv is an all-american hobby, too, that the rest of America hates (including me). And actually, Maher's quote seemed to have an Arabic prejudice as well implying that everyone involved in the 9/11 disaster was an Arab. I will say this, though. Bush (not America) has a problem telling the difference between "good guys" and "bad guys." When 9/11 occurred, there was one Middle-Eastern nation that didn't have people dancing in the streets. Instead, there were candlelight vigils held to mourn the victims. Not long afterwards, Bush referred to that country as a member of the "Axis Of Evil" -- Iran -- broadbrushing the entire country as evil when, in truth, the USA only has issues with their government, not their people.

And another thing... not all "terrorist" organisations are the same.

True ... but the only terrorists I was talking about were those implied in Maher's comment ... terrorists in relation to the World Trade Center.

Arafat was considered one of the biggest terrorists in the 70s and 80s. Today he is one of the most respected figures in the world.

In the world? Sorry, I don't buy that at all ... unless you count the kind of respect you might give to a rattlesnake.

In the world? Sorry, I don't buy that at all ... unless you count the kind of respect you might give to a rattlesnake.
Arafat was only one of the very few non-country leaders who gave speech in the UN headquarters in front of all country leaders except a few (you know who they are) and they all gave him a standing ovation (spelling?).

Arafat was only one of the very few non-country leaders who gave speech in the UN headquarters in front of all country leaders except a few (you know who they are) and they all gave him a standing ovation (spelling?).

Actually, he's made 3 speeches in front of the General Assembly, not just 1 -- in 1974, 1988 and 2001. As you said, he was considered a terrorist in the 70s and 80s ... and the standing ovation was at his 1974 speech, less than a year after the Yom Kippur War when anti-Israeli sentiment ran high in the world. To my knowledge, the 1988 and 2001 speeches were not similarly honored ... so perhaps his stature was not as high in later years as it once was 30 years ago. However, I suspect they gave him applause when he was done ... a salutation the General Assembly affords to any speaker. Don't confuse politeness and decorum with "respect."

P.S. BTW, Arafat was invited to speak to the General Assembly in 1974 by U.N. Secretary General Kurt Waldheim, a man who served as an officer in a Nazi army unit during WWII that was guilty of war crimes in Yugoslavia. How appropos, hehe ... a war criminal inviting a terrorist to speak.

all politicians are "dirty". No doubt about that.

anyways, we are getting off topic and I really hate political discussions on the net. I prefer to do it in real life lol.

to end this I'll say again that I hate tv shows that make DUMB jokes about really serious matters.

In drama there's a fine line between comedy and tragedy. As they say, the world is a stage - and one can chose to interpret as they see fit. Politics is dirty - but life without humor would be even worse. I tend to like political humor -particularly when my opponent's febile idealologies are the butt of the jokes lol

In drama there's a fine line between comedy and tragedy. As they say, the world is a stage - and one can chose to interpret as they see fit. Politics is dirty - but life without humor would be even worse. I tend to like political humor -particularly when my opponent's febile idealologies are the butt of the jokes lol

I didn't say the opposite but these matters are really serious and it's better if we just don't joke about them at all. I'll give you an example: How would the Kurds feel if the Turkish media made fun of Ocalan (former Kurdish leader and according to some goverments, a major "terrorist). That is totally wrong. They captured him but the turkish didn't make fun of it. They respect the enemy.

Political satire is another thing and we all love it.

btw

These days the kurds are not "terrorists" according to the same goverments cause they help during the war in Iraq.

Arafat was considered one of the biggest terrorists in the 70s and 80s. Today he is one of the most respected figures in the world. Also Nelson Mandella.

While I see a need for a Palestinian Homeland, I do not consider Arafat in the same light as Nelson Mandela--he's beligerant and prolonging the mess in the Middle East as much of the Israelis. Humor, or no humor, I'd rather not hear or read anything more about the Israeli-Palestinian problem until they get it together and seek a real solution.

anyways, we are getting off topic and I really hate political discussions on the net. I prefer to do it in real life lol.

Me, too. But I for one "revel" in political humor, even if it's on a serious topic, on TV. It's one of the things that sets us (and a few other countries) apart from the rest of the world. Can you imagine what would have happened to an Iraqi comedian who made such jokes on Iraqi TV. Or, can you imagine an Iranian comedian who dressed up like Khomeni and made fun of him and his policies on Iranian TV. Ahem ... actually, the last one really happened ... and under a death threat, the comedian fled Iran. He's now a "regular" on NITV (National Iranian Television), an Iranian-exile satellite channel broadcasting from California and watched all over the world ... including Iran. Click HERE and watch the 4th video from the top ... "CNN 's Interview with Zia Atabay." He's a former Iranian pop music star who fled with his wife (a plastic surgeon) after he himself came under scrutiny of the Islamic state. Using his wife's fortune, he started NITV which, for the most part, is now self-supporting.

I don't know if you got my point before. I really like political humour and I watch all the political humour shows here but there is a difference about Saddam, Pinochet and some other dictators. They are killers. They are caught and the world should never see them again. They are NOT politicians.

And believe it or not, that man is a hero, a god for alot of people. How would you feel if somehow, the Iraqis won the war and captured Bush and drag him around here and there and made fun of him, on public tv?

A man's happiness is another man's pain.

This is all I'm trying to say. This is not political humour.

Edited by method77

How would you feel if somehow, the Iraqis won the war and captured Bush and drag him around here and there and made fun of him, on public tv?

A

I agree with you on this. The American's showed no class in this respect. I cringed when I heard the military guy announce "We got him." I'd much rather us show an example of how we built a new hospital, or a road, then this political grandstanding.

How would you feel if somehow, the Iraqis won the war and captured Bush and drag him around here and there and made fun of him, on public tv?

A

I agree with you on this. The American's showed no class in this respect. I cringed when I heard the military guy announce "We got him." I'd much rather us show an example of how we built a new hospital, or a road, then this political grandstanding.

the worst part of that anouncement was how the reporters reacted! They actually cheered! A reporter is supposed to be NEUTRAL. Report both sides and never take sides. I know they are humans and all but that's not the way this (very important) job is done. And don't think I'm the only one feeling this way. The european reporters assosiation (something like that) send a letter of complaint to their american assosiates. I'm talking about those Iraquis that cheered.

one thing I should add that shows how important a reporters job is. In greek constitution the only people that are allowed to speak to wanted criminals (terrorists etc...) and never reveal their location are reporters. Their job is to inform people and nothing else. Remember the british reporter that interviewed Osama? he didn't name the location to the police.

And believe it or not, that man is a hero, a god for alot of people. How would you feel if somehow, the Iraqis won the war and captured Bush and drag him around here and there and made fun of him, on public tv?

Oh for heaven's sake, hehe. Who were those people dancing in the streets of Baghdad - actors? You are right, though. He is a God to a lot of people. Most of them are called "Palestinians." To others, most of them Iraqi's, he's a feared tyrant who is finally an historical footnote ... a man who made 3,000,000 of his countrymen "disappear" according to a French human rights investigation. That's one-eighth of his entire country's population. If Bush had done something similar, I'd be dancing in the streets myself if the Iraqis caputured him. Wouldn't you? And after I got done dancing, I'd be telling Bush jokes and plenty of them ... and wouldn't feel the least bit embarassed doing so.

did I say that that almost all aren't happy about his capture? No. Did I say that Sadam was a good guy? No. Topic is making fun about those issues on tv. Will you laugh if those hosts make fun of that serial killer who was captured in the US? No. That's my point. That's not poilitical humour.

M77, you will have to forgive Americans for their offbeat sense of humor--its our only true outlet against the system. My guess is that you and Holy Moly share similar points of view--its just a matter of semantics.

Will you laugh if those hosts make fun of that serial killer who was captured in the US? No. That's my point. That's not poilitical humour.

Saddam Hussein is just as "political" as any other world leader ... making him fair game for the pundit.