'Incurable psychopath' released

Shawn

Residents of Brampton, Ontario....I hope the best for you.

CTV News

Peel Regional Police are warning the public that a violent convicted serial rapist who was described by one prison doctor as an "incurable psychopath" has been released from prison and is intending to reside near Brampton, Ont.

Police issued a public safety advisory Tuesday after Martin Ferrier, 31, was released from Warkworth Prison in Campbellford, Ont. after serving 28 months for threatening a family member.

The massive, shaved-headed repeat offender has spent 15 of the last 17 years in prison on more than 60 convictions for crimes including rape, forcible confinement, arson, and assault. He once said to a judge that he wanted to be the most prolific killer in Canadian history.

During his latest stay in prison, Ferrier refused to participate in any treatment program offered for his violent sexual behaviour.

Police warned in the statement that Ferrier is considered a high risk to re-offend violently and sexually within a short period of being released from custody. They also said his whereabouts will be closely monitored.

In a court hearing Tuesday morning, Ferrier signed a peace bond swearing good behaviour and is held to 18 conditions, including staying home between midnight and 6 a.m. and he must notify police of any change in address.

Ferrier had indicated he would be living in the Brampton area after his release, corrections authorities told Peel police.

Residents are horrified that someone with such a history is now free and living in their community.

"That's insane," one woman said when hearing of Ferrier's release. "That's terrible, unbelievable. I can't believe they would let him -- how could they let him live in the community like that?"

"I have three young kids and I don't know what to say," another woman said. "I don't know what they can do with him. I wish they could keep him in jail longer."

Krista McGregor, a spokeswoman for the Correctional Service of Canada, said Ferrier had to be released because his sentence had been served.

"The Correctional Service of Canada no longer has any legislative authority over the offender,'' McGregor said.

Parole board documents indicate that Ferrier told at least one psychiatrist in 1995 that he had already committed three murders for which he has never been charged.

Ferrier's own mother has said that she fears her son will kill her when he is released.

Ferrier attempted to check into a Brampton-area hotel Tuesday, only to be refused a room because he had no identification and no credit card.

post-86-1089179039.jpg

We do have a "dangerous offender" status that once decided can stop a person from being released indefinitely, but for some reason he never received the label.

described by one prison doctor as an "incurable psychopath" yet not a "dangerous offender"? ...... wooooops..... :reallymad:...but I guess it's not a big deal until someone else's twelve year old daughter gets raped. :wha':

Edited by joeyz

I agree with Shawn that mandatory sentences do not accomplish justice - guidelines are fine but EVERYTHING should be on a case by case basis.

I have a feeling he'll be in the news again soon.

Actually he was.

After failing to find a hotel that would take him even for the night of his release he must have decided to go home. He walked up to, and threatened to kill, some reporters. He then called police to turn himself in. In court the next day he asked to be sent back to prison.

The judge acquiesced and sentenced him to two years.

Not a permanent fix, but...

Montreal Gazette