Nicki Minaj’s 'Freedom' Video Is Heavy With Symbolism

NelsonG

By Henna Kathiya

Nicki Minaj takes a different approach in her new video “Freedom," which is a bit of a departure from the rap queen’s usual colorful and animated videos. In the Colin Tilley-directed video, the YMCMB rapper delivers sharp lines in a beautiful black and white setting rich with symbolism.

The first verse finds Nicki in a long sleeved black dress and a crown of thorns referencing Jesus’ sacrifice. She opens the song with lines directed at her haters, “They'll never thank me for opening doors/ They ain't even thank Jesus when he died on the cross/Cause your spirit is ungrateful/ Bitches is so hateful/ I remain a staple.”

The Pink Friday MC continues to build herself up, referencing her steady rise in the industry rhyming about her commercials and Pink Friday fragrance. However she does credit some of her success to her crew, making shout outs to Lil Wayne, Mack Maine and others.

Nicki takes on a more aggressive tone as the song goes on. Rhyming her own praises in a decadent gown and royal crown she spits, “Queen is the title/ and if you are my rival that means you’re suicidal. I’m just that vital/ I’m always busy never idle.” The video eventually transitions from black and white to color- showing the deep vibrant hue of her settings. "I feel free, I feel freedom," she raps as her song slowly winds down.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/11/20/nicki-minajs-freedom-video-for-critics/]View the full article[/url]