Fat Joe And 50 Cent Put Differences Aside To Tribute Chris Lighty

NelsonG

By Rob Markman

A few years ago, it would've been impossible to entertain the thought of having 50 Cent and Fat Joe in the same room, but the two heavyweights put their tension aside this past weekend to honor the late Chris Lighty during the taping of the  BET Hip-Hop Awards.

"The same guy who discovered him, discovered me — Chris Lighty," Fat Joe told Philadelphia Hot 107.9 DJ Q Deezy during an interview on Monday. "He always wanted me and 50 Cent to make peace forever, but we were just being stubborn and ignoring him."

Lighty took his own life on August 30, and while the cause of death was ruled a suicide officially, members of the music mogul's family are launching their own investigation. On Saturday, Fat Joe and 50 Cent joined other Lighty protégés, including A Tribe Called Quest, Missy Elliott and Busta Rhymes, onstage for a special tribute that will air on October 9.

"While we were there, 50 whispered some things in my ear that was gentleman-like," Joe said. "He just said the right things and a handshake was involved and that was that. It was two grown men that just said, 'This is for Chris Lighty, this is for hip-hop, let's move on with our lives.' "

The beef began back in 2004 after the Bronx, New York, rapper collaborated with Fif's rival Ja Rule on "New York." The G-Unit CEO believed that his enemy's friend was in turn his enemy as well and took aim at Fat Joe the following year on "Piggy Bank," mocking his less-than-stellar sales numbers. Crack then responded with "My Fofo," where he alleged that 50 had close ties to the New York Police department — a "no, no" for street rappers.

Joey Crack likened he and 50's rival to that of Israel and Palestine. "This wasn't like rap beef, this was gonna go bad," he said. "Unfortunately it took somebody that I love so much to pass away and he loved and somebody who tried effortlessly to squash the beef for years."

The "Lean Back" MC was excited about the Lighty tribute, but was careful not to give away any of the details. "Aww man, that show was so legendary," he gushed. "I never seen a collaboration with so much firepower."

What do you think of Fat Joe and 50 Cent's peace?

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/10/02/fat-joe-50-cent-put-differences-aside-chris-lighty/]View the full article[/url]