Are "fake" K-lite Files Out There?

HolyMoly

Now that Kazaa Lite is no longer available from "official" sites, you can only download it from unofficial locations. Now, in theory, the filename of the last English-language version of Kazaa Lite is:

klitekpp243e.exe

However, I've done some checking for that file and find different filesizes for this download. Some download locations show filesize to be 3,366,186 bytes while others show filesize to be 2,785,833. To my knowledge, the bigger filesize is the correct filesize for that version. But this makes me wonder what the smaller filesize files really are. Anyone know?

if you read the kazaaliteisdead thread in slyck forums you will see that there is 8 or more different cleans kazaas so it gets really confusing.

Does that thread indicate which filesize is the "original" filesize of the "klitekpp243e.exe" file as it was on Kazaa Lite's servers? That's the one I'd want to preserve for posterity. It works ... and I'd be a bit scared to try other versions, some of which may be "buggy" versions released by hackers or even Sharman (to encourage people to abandon KLite in favor of Kazaa).

Now that Kazaa Lite is no longer available from "official" sites, you can only download it from unofficial locations. Now, in theory, the filename of the last English-language version of Kazaa Lite is:

klitekpp243e.exe

However, I've done some checking for that file and find different filesizes for this download. Some download locations show filesize to be 3,366,186 bytes while others show filesize to be 2,785,833. To my knowledge, the bigger filesize is the correct filesize for that version. But this makes me wonder what the smaller filesize files really are. Anyone know?

Recently posted at KaZaALinks.........

Here's the thing, we all download material using file sharing services which the regulators would not like us to be downloading. One wonders whether sharman networks thought about whether its very own software could be used to distribute illeagle copies of itself.

No one needs to worry about how to distribute future versions of Kazaa Lite when Sharman is playing legal games with ISPs. Just download a legit version of Kazaa, and use it to download Kazaa Lite. A quick uninstall cures all the ills of the ad distributing version, and you're done.

The irony is not that a company which makes its profits from distributing a product which enables you to trade copyrighted material is cracking down on a product which violates its own copyright, it's that the company's product is going to be what distributes illeagal copies of itself.

Thank you Sharman, for providing the means for Kazaa Lite's continuing success. I beleive that I speak for all file sharers when I say that I salute you.

Sharman have blocked downloads of kazaa lite from their 2.6 clients.

The irony is not that a company which makes its profits from distributing a product which enables you to trade copyrighted material is cracking down on a product which violates its own copyright, it's that the company's product is going to be what distributes illeagal copies of itself.

I see some humor in that myself!!

:lol::lol:

here (it's real)

OK ... then I guess I was wrong ... the smaller-size file is the correct file. I'll archive it for future reference since I already have 2.4.3 installed. BTW, I also noticed an article on Slyck.com stating that future versions of Kazaa's desktop will be able to recognize "diet" or "altered" versions of itself:

http://slyck.com/news.php?story=339

Of course, this raises an interesting question. Can the full (adware/spyware-free) version be distributed ... or is it tied to one single computer somehow? In short, can someone buy Kazaa+ v2.6 and share it with others?

to tell you the truth, I really want kazaa to become a pay client so this story can come to an end. I don't think that you would be able to share it though.

I'd like to see it become a pay-client, too ... but only if there's some kind of agreement with the music industry that some of that "pay" ends up in the hands of copyright holders. If they're just holding out their hands and asking me to pay $29.95 for Kazaa+ v2.6 ("or else, we'll slap invasive spyware/adware on your machine"), they're expecting too much.

I've always hoped such a pay-client would emerge. In reality, the only pay-clients out there now are little more than "top-40" radio stations that force consumers to accept their "playlist" (always promising to add more music in the future but usually only adding newer, not older, material). The beauty of unfettered sharing, to me, is the abandonment of any "playlist" scenario ... or rather, a "playlist" whose sole limitation is the preferences of its usership. And it's sad that the RIAA cannot see the obvious solution. If they can track users to the uploading or downloading of a song, they can also track songs to copyright holders. And, if they were to bring back Napster (as it was) ... or some other client with a "centralized" server that could track shared songs ... determining a copyright-royalty scenario to agree upon with the file-sharing client developer would be a piece of cake and make EVERYBODY happy.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't money, it's control ... and the RIAA wants it all.