LiL Wayne Courted 2 Chainz With Young Money Deal

NelsonG

By Rob Markman

The word is out now, that 2 Chainz has inked an official deal with Def Jam Records, but in light of the Atlanta rapper's friendship with Lil Wayne, fans have wondered if he ever considered signing to Young Money. During his visit to "RapFix Live" on Wednesday 2 Chainz explained that he did have the discussion with Wayne. "I was one of the first people invited to Young Money, before the album. Wayne asked me," Chainz said.

2 Chainz Has Been Recording Music With Kanye West

The two spitters have history. Weezy appeared with 2 Chainz (then known as Tity Boi) on "Duffle Bag Boy," the 2007 single with his group Playaz Circle. Two years later, Dos spent significant time on the road with Tunechi during his I Am Still Music Tour. At the time, however, 2 Chainz chose to remain loyal to Playaz Circle and honor his deal with Ludacris' Disturbing Tha Peace record label. Ultimately, he didn't want to seem like he was hopping from label to label, though he maintains that he and Wayne have a true friendship.

"From the outside looking in, I hate to see people look like they clique hopping," Chainz said. "But when you just look at an artist that went from here to this subsidiary, to this subsidiary — for me I felt like I'm smart enough to sign 2 Chainz slash Def Jam like I did."

2 Chainz Headlines His First, Sold Out New York Show

Instead of signing to another artist, with Def Jam the "Spend It" MC was able to become his own boss and partner his new label T.R.U. with the deep-rooted record company. As soon as he signed, Chainz sent Wayne a text thanking him for being a true friend. "Lil Wayne is one of the realist dudes in the game as far as opening up doors for people to eat and trickling down to their families," he said. "He's one of the most unselfish, talented people that I've been around."

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/02/03/lil-wayne-2-chainz-young-money-record-deal/]View the full article[/url]