2 Chainz Headlines His First, Sold Out New York Show

NelsonG

(2 Chainz breaks down his 'T.R.U. REALigion' mixtape)

By Steven Roberts

2 Chainz performed his first headlining show in New York on Monday night (January 30) at SOBs. Correction: I waited over 3 hours to witness 2 Chaaaainz’s first headlining show in New York on Monday night at SOBs. I can't speak for the rest of the crowd, who must’ve grown restless, but those 25-plus minutes of stage time were worth it.

2 Chainz Gets Real On New Mixtape T.R.U. REALigion.

My unhealthy obsession with Tity/2 Chainz started over the summer when I visited Atlanta, and the DJ ran back his song, "Spend It," six times on the radio. When I got back to New York no one really understood how big 2 Chainz was becoming. Luckily I'm a news producer, and people slowly started catching on. But I was still shocked to see that tickets for his SOBs' show sold out a week in advance.

Given that fact, I wanted to get there early and post up in a spot that offered both a great view and easy access to the bar. Unfortunately it was a long wait as Phreshy Duzit, Troy Ave and Neako and his Zebra Gang – Where do I sign up?! – weren’t what the crowd was looking for, nor did they seize the opportunity. Houston’s Marcus Manchild did a much better job of hyping up the crowd, even bringing out Paul Wall and Slim Thug who surprised the crowd with a performance of “Still Tippin’.”

2 Chainz Appearing On 'RapFix Live Wednesday'

2 Chainz finally hit the stage just before 11 PM wielding two large Dunkin Donuts Styrofoam cups and he didn’t even bother to perform the first song that his DJ played. Instead he chose to pose, and I wasn’t even mad. When he did perform it was a variety of songs, mainly from Trap-A-Veli 2 and last year’s T.R.U Realigion, but he did sneak in a little Playaz Circle with “Duffle Bag Boy.” He performed his break out hit, “Spend It” relatively early in his set, but still showed that he had more than enough of a catalog to rock the packed house.

While his set couldn’t have been more than 30 minutes long, it was definitely worth the wait. Be sure to catch 2 Chainz this Wednesday on RapFix Live at 4 PM. He’ll sit down with Sway to chat about his career to this point, as well as his future, including his new record deal.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/01/31/2-chainz-headlines-first-new-york-show/]View the full article[/url]