The Soul Cages

Umma

The later Ten Summoner's Tales is likely a more popular 90's album than this one, but I've loved The Soul Cages since the first time I heard it. Sting's lyrics combined with the complexities of rhythms and instrumentation used in his compositions draw the listener completely into the story tellers world.... but there's no sense in repeating what someone else has already said better than I could... so here's a great review from Amazon.com :)

The Pinnacle of Sting's Illustrious Career, February 17, 2004

Reviewer: jd131 (see more about me) from Southern California

After erasing doubts that he could float in a post-Police world with two solid solo albums, Sting entered a period of grief-induced writer's block caused by the death of his father, whose approval and affection Sting had always sought but never received. It took finally facing up to the ghost of his father, and making amends with him. This is what we see on The Soul Cages, a brilliant marriage of pain, regret, sorrow and finally emotional liberation. This albums reads and plays like a beautiful, sad novel; one that takes more than one read to really understand. With Sting's father as the main thematic focal point, Northumbrian Pipes open "Island of Souls," where the story of Billy and his shipbuilding father is told. This long elegy subtly displays Sting's musical prowess, with a strange time signature (classic Sting) and a dark, brooding vocal. Next is "All This Time," one of Sting's most popular songs. It also tells the story of a man and his father, and the gap between them, but it is veiled and never obvious. This album can be very mysterious and difficult to uncover, but it is most definitely worth the effort. "Mad About You" and "Jeremiah Blues" stray from the father/son theme, but provide more of Sting's brilliant arrangements and storytelling (Mad About You is about King David and his desire to be with Bathsheba). The next track highlights the emotional climax and despair of the album: "Why Should I Cry For You?" is by far the most moving song here. The depth of the lyrics (full of nautical references and symbolism regarding his father and he) will move the listener, and it is here that you begin to truly understand the struggle inside the songwriter. This song is so heavy that Sting has admitted he placed the beautiful instrumental "St. Agnes and the Burning Train" after it to give listeners somewhat of a mental break. Then comes the final stretch of "The Wild Wild Sea," "The Soul Cages," and "When The Angels Fall," which feature brilliantly dark and mysterious melodies and equally thought-provoking lyrics. The album ends on a positive note for the singer, whose vocal timbre and lyrical sentiment indicate that the demons have been conquered and the battle with the ghost is over. The circle has been completed by the end of the album, with Sting introducing his own children to his deceased father in a way that is both sad and hopeful. This album is most definitely not easy listening, and it is not for those who dislike lyrics that you must think about. These are the reasons I love the album, however. The most powerful line and the climax of the album comes in the bridge of "Why Should I Cry For You?" where Sting sings to his father: "Sometimes I See Your Face, The Stars Seem To Lose Their Place." Take a close listen to that and see if you can keep yourself from becoming involved in the beautiful story behind this album. His autobiography, "Broken Music" is a perfect companion to this album, and after reading it the album has taken on a much deeper meaning and significance for me. Hope you like it as much as I do!

Sting - the Soul Cages .... Amazon Reviews and Sound samples