What Should Jay-Z Perform At The Opening Of The Barclays?

NelsonG

Jay-Z just came one step closer to making his dream a reality. The young kid from the make it or break it Marcy Projects out of one of Brooklyn's roughest neighborhoods officially announced plans to kick off his Barclays Center with a string of shows slated to launch next year. Hov will reportedly perform back to back concerts to celebrate the newly minted arena in the heart of BK next fall just a few weeks ahead of the 2012 NBA season. The star-studded show is expected to draw some of New York City's biggest ballers around.

During a sitdown interview with Fox News' "Good Day New York" Hov also confirmed his team's plans, the New Jersey Nets will officially rename the team to the Brooklyn Nets to accompany the much-hyped move.

"It's great," Hov said of the move to BK. "I have a reason to come to Brooklyn often, which is fantastic for me because this is my foundation."

"I'm going to open the building with a concert — or a couple of concerts, actually," he said, without actually confirming the number of shows. It's going to be more than about basketball; it's an entertainment arena."

With Jay-Z's impending move back to where it all started for the Brooklyn mogul, we've decided to put together a BK inspired set we'd like to see the god MC dabble in come grand opening time at the Barclays.

"Hello Brooklyn." No explanation needed for this one. The title alone speaks for itself.

"Where I'm From." Imagine thousands of residents from Bedford Stuvesant filling the Barclays Arena going into complete pandemonium once the record drops.

"Brooklyn's Finest" feat. Notorious B.I.G. Although Big Poppa won't be there to assist Hov with the celebration, an appearance from Lil Cease and Junior M.A.F.I.A. would serve just as well. Don't count on a Lil Kim sighting though.

"Ain't No N---a" featuring Foxy Brown. Here's the other reason why you shouldn't for expect Lil Kim to be in the building, Foxy Brown. If you had to choose between the two female MCs then this song is your explanation why Inga wins hands down. "Ain't" was a breakthrough record in Hov's career, its only right to bring it back to where it all began.

"Can't Knock The Hustle" featuring Mary J. Blige. Another classic record from the endless Jay-Z vault. "Can't Knock The Hustle" is like the summertime anthem for all Brooklynites.

"Empire State of Mind" featuring Alicia Keys. You didn't think that Hov kicked off his first few bars on "Empire" with a salute to Brooklyn just because, now did you? The multi-million dollar businessman is a visionary. This record performed at Barclays could very well tear the roof off the new arena once it comes on. Expect Ms. Keys to be on hand with a raging Lil Mama somewhere buried in the stands.

"Hard Knock Life." While some may argue that "Empire State Of Mind" would make for a better show closer, the struggle then success that Jay-Z has witnessed over the course of his career culminating with the opening of the first major entertainment complex at the home of NYC's signature cheescake would cap a memorable evening for any tri-state resident, regardless what borough you represent.

What record would you like to see Jay-Z perform at the opening of the Barclays? Tweet to us at @MTVRapFix or leave us a comment below.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/09/26/what-should-jay-z-perform-at-the-barclays/]View the full article[/url]