J.J. Abrams On 'Star Trek 2': What Happens Next?

NelsonG

[i]by Brian Phares[/i]

They say the first time is the hardest, but I beg to differ. With the news that [url="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/09/14/jj-abrams-star-trek-2-director/"]J.J. Abrams is officially at the helm of the next installment in his “Star Trek” reboot[/url], I’m sure Mr. Abrams is finding himself with some rather large shoes to fill -- and no shoes could be larger than his own (I think they must hover somewhere around Shaq’s rumored size 23).

[url="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/09/15/jj-abrams-star-trek-2/"][img]http://mtv.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:679305?height=288&width=512[/img][/url]

In order for his next “[url="http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/305755/moviemain.jhtml"]Star Trek[/url]” movie to ascend to the heights of “Empire Strikes Back” (and not go the way of “Die Hard 2,” or countless other terrible sequels), Abrams truly has to outdo himself, in almost every way. Here are my tips on what has to happen next to prove to the public that 2009’s “Star Trek” wasn’t just a one-off, and that Abrams can do it once again, and this time, even better.

[b]Who Is The Baddest Of Them All?[/b]
In order for a sequel to truly shine, it needs a great nemesis. Perhaps, the [i]greatest[/i] threat Kirk has ever faced. Of course, I am speaking of Khan. Now the problem here is that, well, it’s been done before. Not only has it been done before, but of all of the films preceding 2009’s “Star Trek,” “The Wrath of Khan” is arguably the greatest.

Team J.J. has long been side-stepping rumors that Khan will be making an appearance, which may be a wise decision. After all, there are plenty of other bad guys to choose from, and why not just make one from scratch? But really, let’s be honest, we all want Khan, and this is the chance for J.J. to truly go where no man has gone before, and finally topple “The Wrath of Khan” as the greatest “Trek” movie of all time.

[b]NCC-1701-B[/b]
“Star Trek” films have often sported a continually upgrading roster of new Enterprises (much like thepPre-Nolan “Batman” movies’ slew of Batmobiles), and I would expect nothing less from the next installment. Perhaps the film opens with a raid on the Enterprise A in dry dock, rendering it incapacitated, and Kirk and crew are called upon to take the wraps off the newest weapon in the United Federation of Planets’ arsenal: the Enterprise B.

Of course, no “Star Trek” movie would be complete without Kirk using the ship as a bomb and unceremoniously self destructing it in a decisive finishing move against the movie’s adversary.

[b]“Damnit Jim, I’m A Co-Star, Not An Extra!”[/b]
My favorite character of the original “Star Trek” cast is without a doubt Leonard McCoy, more commonly known as Bones. In the last film, Bones had little to no involvement in the plot aside from getting Kirk onto the Enterprise by crudely manipulating medical law to his advantage, and making for one of the funniest and most memorable scenes of the movie.

But for me, and I’m sure many fans, it just wasn’t enough. This time around, I want more Bones. I’m talking “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” levels of Bones. (If you haven’t seen it, get on that; after “Khan” it is my favorite of the old “Star Trek” films). C’mon J.J., give a dog a bone(s).

That’s my two cents, and we all know I’m the expert because I’ve directed a number of massive worldwide blockbuster hits as well. But seriously, J.J… more Bones. Make it so.

[url=http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/09/15/jj-abrams-star-trek-2/]View the full article[/url]