MP3 successor to fight piracy

KiwiCoromandel

A leading technology company is set to launch a new digital music file format which will embed additional content for fans including lyrics, news updates and images in what could be a successor to the ubiquitous MP3 file.

Read more

VIDEO embedding disabled: Watch on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbgTsG4JAo

source: Reuters

image: Fair Use/Youtube/Screengrab: MusicDNA can play on any MP3 player, including Apple's iPod.

post-193-12648969570892_thumb.png

I read that to say that the pirated file wouldn't get updates. If I paid for the song I would not want their advertising updates. Duh! Sounds to me like the pirated file is much better than the paid for file. That will show the pirates who's the boss. Pay money and get avertising or steal it and we won't bother you with advertising. I must have missed something.

mp3 is owned by Phillips & RCA. I wonder what their incentive is to curb piracy??

It didn't say anything about the sound quality. I'm betting that it is another crappy lossy format. Great for portable players, not worth a shit for home use on a good system. Probably just mp3 with something added to enable it handle advertising and jpegs. That is why it will play on current mp3 players (backward compatible).

Anybody remember mp3 pro?? That format never got started. Not even a small fraction of 1% of the files I have ever seen were in that format. Yep, Phillips & RCA again. They predicted it would become the industry standard but few people have ever heard of it and even fewer have ever seen it. mp3 pro had the same bit depth that mp3 had but the sampling rate was half as much. Standard mp3 is 44100hz. You can easily change that setting with many programs but that is the standard. mp3 pro had a sampling rate of 22050hz. That is how it achieved the smaller file size. Their claims about it having some whoop-de-doo processing to enhance the sound is BullShit Pro. You can take a regular mp3 and dither it down to 22050 and it will sound the same or damn close to the same as mp3 pro. mp3 pro has been out for around 8 years or maybe longer. I can't remember how long for sure. It is a dead issue. The handful of files that you would see in that format have almost totally disappeared in recent years. You will see at least 1000 albums before you see 1 in that format.

Now those same people are predicting this one will be the next big deal. Whatever. My Bullshit meter is pegged out to the Max. Make that Max pro. Flac, Ape and WavPack are what I'm seeing more of as I surf about. Those are all lossless. And of course, lots of good old lossy mp3. wma seems to have lost a lot of ground during the last 5 years and it didn't have much territory to lose.

Thanks for the article Kiwi! Wear your boots and hold your nose while reading because it's getting a little bit deep! :lol: