Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dies

She was 72 and had battled leukemia for several years.

ANBURY, Conn. - Mary Travers, one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, has died.

The band’s publicist, Heather Lylis, says Travers died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut on Wednesday. She was 72 and had battled leukemia for several years.

:link:

jikuut.jpg

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is an old tune. Roberta Flack had a big hit with it but it was recorded by a lot of people before her.

It is on Mary Traver's album, Mary (1971) and it is also on Peter, Paul & Mary's 1965 album, See What Tomorrow Brings.

I have it by at least 10 artists including Johnny Cash, Temptations, Celine Dion, Elvis Presley, Kingston Trio and I may have a copy of me singing it. If I find my rendition I will upload it and post it here. :lol:

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is an old tune. Roberta Flack had a big hit with it but it was recorded by a lot of people before her.

It is on Mary Traver's album, Mary (1971) and it is also on Peter, Paul & Mary's 1965 album, See What Tomorrow Brings.

I have it by at least 10 artists including Johnny Cash, Temptations, Celine Dion, Elvis Presley, Kingston Trio and I may have a copy of me singing it. If I find my rendition I will upload it and post it here. :lol:

You are going to have to begin publishing soon, Red - you are beginning to be quite the expert on the 60s and early 70s

You can learn a lot by downloading tunes without trying or being very smart. I learn that way and I don't try and I'm not very smart. :lol:

Just this week I learned that Lorraine Ellison was the original performer of Try A Little Bit Harder that Janis Joplin made famous. :thumbsup:

Get into this version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Alison Moyet, an English pop singer-songwriter noted for her bluesy voice...a real choice one...

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" has been covered by numerous artists such as Marianne Faithfull, the Kingston Trio, the Chad Mitchell Trio-Mike Kobluk solo, Gordon Lightfoot, Vern Gosdin, Shirley Bassey, Céline Dion, Bert Jansch, Maria Taylor, Peter, Paul and Mary, We Five, Johnny Cash, The Chi-Lites, José Carreras, Michael Sweet, Jeffrey Gaines, Isaac Hayes, Nana Mouskouri, Bradley Joseph, Joanna Law, Richard Marx, Alison Moyet, George Michael, Elvis Presley, Stereophonics & Jools Holland, Mel Tormé, Vanessa L. Williams, Mathilde Santing, Cindytalk, Amanda Palmer, Conner Reeves, Christy Moore, David Cook, Journey South, Bobby Vinton, Kate Ceberano, Lauryn Hill, Leona Lewis, Gregorian, Wayne Newton, Englebert Humperdink, The Temptations, The Smothers Brothers, Johnny Mathis, Paul Potts, Jeffery Osbourne, Andy Williams, Petula Clark, Harry Connick, Jr., Aaron Neville and Marcia Griffiths (member of the I-Threes). There is also a jazz rendition of the song by the Rachel Z trio, on their album of the same name.

source: wikipedia

Aaron Neville did it as a duet with Linda Ronstadt. I don't know if he did it solo. Marianne Faithfull had it on her 1966 album North Country Maid. The song had been around for years and recorded by lots of artists. It was Roberta Flack's first big hit. Her album, First Take was going nowhere until that song appeared in the movie, Play Misty For Me in 1972. That was her big break in her singing career.

I need a big break to get my singing career started. Maybe Kanye West will interrupt some award show with, "Redneck4sure has the best cover of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face..... EVER!! :lol:

edit: Leona Lewis did a nice job on her Spirit album. Several people did a pretty good job of covering the song but I prefer Roberta's.

Edited by Redneck4sure