Now it's Overhead at The Glass House

Pasadena Star News

Now It's Overhead at The Glass House

By Jennifer Cho Salaff

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 27, 2004 - "Fall Back Open," the second full-length release from Athens, Ga.-based band Now It's Overhead, is a decided departure from the group's first album.

While the indie band's self-titled record, released in 2001, focused on the beginning and disintegration of a romantic relationship, "Fall Back Open" revolves around themes much more vast: self-acceptance, coming of age and the search for meaning and fulfillment.

"The songs are definitely a direct reflection of what I'm going through," lead singer and producer Andy LeMaster, 28, revealed while taking a break during the SXSW Music, Film and Interactive Festival in Austin, Texas. "Each song is a different avenue to putting an end to the cycle of searching for the right answer. The themes vary from sexual identity to mortality. It's not a lightweight record," he said, laughing.

Now It's Overhead includes Orenda Fink on bass, keyboards and vocals; Maria Taylor on keyboards and vocals, and Clay Leverett on drums and vocals. Fink and Taylor (also of Azure Ray) provide ethereal harmonies and Leverett (frontman of Athens band Lona) collaborates with LeMaster to create rhythms both organic and otherworldly. Notable guest vocals include Omaha-based band Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst and R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe.

LeMaster's soul-searching has resulted in lyrics that are honest, heartbreaking and reflective. The music, soundscapish and cinematic, has qualities of immediacy and longing.

"The Decision Made Itself" is perhaps the most personal song on the 9-track album. At the core of the lyrics is a celebration of self-acceptance.

Some said I should have done it a long time ago

Just kept it hangin' over

Somehow I never went but wanted to go

Out into the open.

It was a long year, and I wasted it

Now each breath's getting shorter

Get it over with but I'm not convinced

It will lift my shoulders.

Struck in slow motion 'til this is through

And it's kill or be killed

I'm facing up to it with nothing to lose

The decision made itself.

"It's a bit mysterious and kind of universal enough to be about anything, but for me, it's directly inspired by accepting myself as a gay person," LeMaster said. "(Writing it) was both difficult and cathartic. I mean, I said, "I'm going to ... put this on the record, I'm going to lay it on the line.' It's extremely freeing to do that. That's the biggest thing I get out of music -- losing the shackles."

When he's not writing, producing or recording for Now It's Overhead, LeMaster is also playing guitar, bass and keyboards for Bright Eyes, producing for various bands and co-running Chase Park Transduction Recording Studio in Athens. With so many concurrent projects, LeMaster realizes there's the danger of becoming spread too thin.

"It has sort of evolved recently where I am spending the most time with (the band,)" he said. "I'm aware of trying not to do too much. I went to a school of visual arts and I did too much at one time, so I decided to not do it anymore. I wanted to focus more on my music."

LeMaster, who grew up in Toccoa, Ga., a 9,300-population town located about 80 miles northeast of Atlanta, dove into music after graduating from the University of Georgia in Athens. Athens, he says, has a great music scene. It's a small enough place that musicians can share ideas and get inspired by each other.

"It's a really good music community, you can still live cheaply and work there," he said. "Plus, it's the gothic, mysterious, lush south. I love it. It's magical and weird."

:strumma: :strumma: