Cream's Jack Bruce: "Led Zeppelin Was Crap"

The veteran bass player weighs in on the controversy surrounding the upcoming Led Zepplin tour: "Fuck off, you're crap."

Read more at ClassicRock.com

Listen to the full interview HERE

White Room

CrossRoads

I liked their music (Led Leppelin), but they did plagiarize and steal credit for several of their tunes. I can understand why someone would call them crap.

It may be sacrilegious to say, but Cream and the Who were better live bands, and Zeppelin peaked with their first album, which was unbelievable. Led Zeppelin was sort of like the Stones in that he incorporated a lot of original blues songs - i still like them.

Led Zeppelin was sort of like the Stones in that he incorporated a lot of original blues songs - i still like them.

I just dislike the fact the never gave any credit to the original artists they stole from. Every time I hear "Gallows Pole" for example, I think of Leadbelly's "Gallis Pole".

An the song “Taurus” by the band of the same name, where almost note for note Led Zeppelin seems to have found the “inspiration” for the opening riff of “Stairway To Heaven.”

In fact, on their first album only one of the 9 songs appears to be an original composition.

Peaked with their first album?

:lol:

Borrowing material is the nature of the business. I'd feel that was a better point if you couldn't tell it was a Led Zep song the moment they begin to play. They have their own distinctive style that nobody else came close to presenting.

Cream's Jack Bruce: "Led Zeppelin Was Crap"

When was the last time somebody listened to Cream to catch Jack Bruce's bass playing anyway? Just a turd trying to keep his name from slipping into total obscurity.

Cream backs out of reunion concert and is replaced with....

Clapton would later expand on his reasons for ending the reunion: Baker's response to Bruce's attitude on the first night of the New York shows. Believing that the two would never see eye-to-eye almost forty years after the break-up of Cream, he chose to return to the path of solo artist. Surprisingly, despite the negative comments from Baker regarding Madison Square Garden, Jack Bruce told Detroit's WCSX radio station in May 2007 that there are plans for a Cream reunion later in the year: "There is some talk about us getting together later this year, which I can't really say too much about. But it's not a commercial thing ... but we may get together for something."

It was later revealed that the potential performance was to be a set at the November, 2007 London tribute to Ahmet Ertegün. The band decided against it, as was confirmed by Bruce in a letter to the editor of the Jack Bruce fanzine, The Cuicoland Express dated 26 September 2007:

"Dear Marc,

We were going to do this tribute concert for Ahmet when it was to be at the Royal Albert Hall but decided to pass when it was moved to the O2 Arena and seemed to be becoming overly commercial."

The headlining act for the O2 Arena Ertegun tribute show (postponed to December 2007) turned out to be another reunited English hard-rock act, Led Zeppelin. So while the band members are talking again, no Cream reunions are planned for the near future.

Peaked with their first album?

:lol:

Their popularity certainly grew, and they had a number of great songs after the first album, but I still believe they never topped it. My feelings about the band have never gone over well with my die-hard friends. Then again, my opinion really doesn't matter - if you love 'em, to each their own.