CES 2024: The new HP Spectre x360 is tempting me to ditch my MacBook

NelsonG

HP Spectre x360 14

The HP Spectre x360 14 got a refresh for CES 2024, and I got a chance to get my hands on it. And let me tell you — I can't keep them off. So much so that I actually contemplated chucking my MacBook Pro out the window for that sweet, sweet typing experience on this irresistible HP laptop.

I thought the keyboard on the Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 3 was blissful, but that's nothing compared to the clackers on the Spectre x360.

In addition to HP continuing to equip its laptops with addictive keyboards, the Spectre x360 14 has updated internals, including new Intel Core Ultra processors that now have AI-focused components (i.e., the NPU).

Oh, and did I mention the keyboard?

7 ways AI benefits the HP Spectre x360 14

The HP Spectre x360 14, as I hinted at the outset, is filled with new upgrades, particularly in the realm of AI.

HP Spectre x360 14
Credit: Joe Maldonado / Mashable

So what, exactly, is new with the next-generation HP favorite? Let's start with how the Intel Core Ultra processors, now equipped with a Neural Processing Unit (NPU) for running machine-learning tasks, will use AI to benefit the Spectre x360:

• Stable Diffusion, a deep-learning, text-to-image model, gets a performance boost

• Adobe Premiere Pro gets a "tremendous advantage," according to an HP rep, while rendering AI effects

• AI apps like Superpower, a platform that records everything you do and turns it into a searchable archive via an AI assistant, will see improvements, too

• It can detect when someone is watching your screen over your shoulder — and alert you

• Instant wake is improved

• Better customization for battery life and power consumption

• Your laptop's behavior is optimized based on the apps you run and other activities

HP Spectre x360 14

Other notable HP Spectre x360 14 features

Aside from the uptick in AI dedication, what else does the HP Spectre x360 14 have to offer? Let's start with the display.

HP Spectre x360 14

The 14-inch OLED panel offers a variable refresh rate display, which means it adjusts the refresh rate depending on what you're watching. For example, if you're simply watching static content, the refresh rate drops to 48Hz. But if you're diving into some light gaming, it can climb to 120Hz for a smoother experience.

HP also claims that the OLED screen, featuring high resolution and dark blacks, is IMAX enhanced, a certification that confirms that the Spectre x360 14 meets high standards when it comes to vibrancy, contrast and clarity.

HP Spectre x360 14

Other notable upgrades include a new 9MP webcam, up from 5MP. Plus, you should expect better performance — not just because of the new processors, but due to an improved system.

And finally, the HP Spectre x360's four-speaker system were tuned to deliver "studio-class" sound.

But it's the keyboard that steals the show

HP Spectre x360 14

As a laptop reviewer, I've never experienced such clicky keys and responsive feedback. But what really makes this laptop stand out of all the rest is its bounce-back capabilities.

The moment my fingers land and hit an actuation point, they're already flying off to the next letter. As a keyboard snob, take it from me when I say the HP Spectre x360 14 has the best keyboard on the market.

I'm not joking when I say that I struggled to take my fingers off it.

View the full article