MTV Signs Second Simpson Sis

MTV Signs Second Simpson Sis

Wed Mar 17, 3:00 AM ET

By Sarah Hall

Apparently MTV feels you can't have too much of a blonde thing.

Following in the footsteps of big sis Jessica of Newlyweds fame, Ashlee Simpson (news) has signed with the music network to do--what else--a reality show.

Cameras will track the 19-year-old Ashlee as she attempts to make the leap from small screen star to pop rocker in the six-episode series Ashlee.

"Ashlee has connected with her fans as an actress and now they will have an opportunity to see her as she drives to succeed in the music arena," MTV exec Lois Curren said in a release. "Ashlee is talented and charismatic and we are happy she is taking us along on her adventure in the music industry."

Till now, the younger Simpson has been known primarily for her role as Cecelia on the WB's 7th Heaven, as well as one of E! Online's Sizzlin' 16 of 2004. (And, of course, as the sister of the ever-clever Jessica.)

While Jessica began her career as a singer and later made the move to television, Ashlee will be doing the reverse.

But don't expect a cookie-cutter image of her Sweet Kisses-singing sister.

"I sing punk music actually," Ashlee said in an interview on the 7th Heaven site. "I love to run around and scream and rock out and play guitar."

She said she grew up dancing, while Jessica was always the sister known for her vocal chops.

"I would sing behind closed doors growing up. Jessica was so good and it made me shy about my own voice," Ashlee said. "But I don't hide my singing--not anymore."

The MTV show will delve into her personal life, covering such events as her breakup with her boyfriend and her first-ever onstage performance with her band.

However, Ashlee's virginity status or lack thereof will not be discussed ad nauseam--that topic was sufficiently covered in Simpson Sister 101.

"[Jessica] chose to talk to the world about it, and I have chosen that I want to keep my personal life to myself," Ashlee said. "[but] I think it's cool that she put it out there."

While Newlyweds focuses primarily on Jessica's endless wants, needs and desires, Ashlee will reportedly focus on Ashlee's work ethic.

"My series will show people all the hard work it takes to cut an album, and I'm excited for everyone to see this and live it right along with me," Ashlee said. "I'm really proud of everything that I've accomplished and I can't wait for the MTV audience to see it for themselves!"

Ashlee is set to premiere this summer. Meanwhile, not to be outdone by little sis, Jessica will also be working on a new project--she's inked a deal with ABC to develop a sitcom.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../en_tv_eo/13715

M - O - N - E - Y

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:shut up: