Why the App Store’s tone-deaf gambling ads make me worry about Apple

DudeAsInCool

Why the App Store’s tone-deaf gambling ads make me worry about Apple

Enlarge (credit: Aurich Lawson | Getty Images)

Apple released iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1 to the public last week, with a long list of new features, fixes, and high-priority zero-day security updates. The updates also included the latest version of SKAdNetwork, Apple's ad services framework for the App Store, and putting advertisements outside of the "Search" tab, where they had been relegated previously. Other changes included new App Store rules that give Apple a cut of NFT sales and of purchases made to boost posts within social media apps.

Whatever the intended effects of these new ad-related updates were supposed to be, indications from Apple's third-party app developers, bloggers, and users indicated the end result was a flood of irrelevant and obnoxious ads, quite often for crypto-related scams and gambling. This included quite a few instances where those ads were not just annoying but inappropriate—next to apps for kids' games or apps for gambling addiction recovery.

We contacted Apple to see whether it has anything to share about its ad rollout, and the company told us (and other outlets) that it had "paused ads related to gambling and a few other categories on App Store product pages." In the short term, the most egregious problem has been addressed, and in any case, "gambling apps advertised next to gambling addiction recovery apps" seemed like a result of unforeseen circumstances rather than something that Apple intended to happen.

Read 15 remaining paragraphs | Comments

View the full article

• 4 months later...

I have to say; it's concerning to hear that the changes have resulted in irrelevant and inappropriate ads, particularly for gambling and crypto-related scams. I think it's essential to choose reliable platforms for investing or gambling, so I prefer today's sports picks. I hope that Apple continues to take steps toward creating a safe and responsible platform for users and developers alike. Thanks for bringing this issue to light.

Edited by GenryHale

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Seeing those gambling ads on the App Store hits close to home for me. Recently, I've been exploring online gambling apps myself, and stumbling upon these ads has been unsettling. It's reassuring that Apple has paused them, especially considering their potential to influence vulnerable users. Speaking of gambling, I've been into it recently and found this app called T Slot77. It's been alright so far, offering a variety of games. If you're interested, you can check it out here: https://themulligans.org/.

Edited by Jimatunes