Everyone's thirsty for Emma D'Arcy's 'Negroni Sbagliato... with Prosecco in it'

NelsonG

A screenshot of the interview heard round TikTok.

Haven't you heard, a Negroni Sbagliato (with Prosecco in it) is the drink du jour thanks to House of the Dragon star Emma D'Arcy's heavenly delivery.

A certain clip of House of the Dragon actors Olivia Cooke and D'Arcy is circulating all over TikTok. In a getting-to-know-you video posted to HBO Max's YouTube channel, Cooke asks D'Arcy, "What's your drink of choice?" With a raise of their brow, D'Arcy smoothly answers, "A Negroni. Sbagliato... with Prosecco in it." The combination of their accents and the palpable chemistry between the two has captivated all corners of the internet.

A pronunciation hasn't had this much of a hold on TikTok since Julia Fox's legendary "Uncut Jaaahmz." But while Fox's enunciation was absurdist, D'Arcy's accent is actively making people horny.

For those who are just now catching up, a Negroni Sbagliato is a Negroni (equals parts gin, red vermouth, and Campari) that replaces gin with Prosecco. The TikTok bartender community was quick to point out the redundancy of D'Arcy's phrasing, but frankly, we wouldn't want it any other way.

"The way that they say it is so satisfying," Sarah Louise Rhodes tells Mashable. She's currently a graduate student in South Carolina who runs @thespritzeffect, a cocktail recipes TikTok account. Rhodes is one of many content creators who posted a video demonstrating how to make a Negroni Spagliato. Her video accumulated over 1 million views and received over 80,000 likes.

"As a cocktail content creator, when there's a viral sound that has to do with cocktails, it's like, 'I've got to jump on that,'" she says. "By Saturday night, most of my like mutual cocktail content creators had also used that sound. It was kind of like a race, like, 'Oh, we we've all got to use this viral sound because it has to do with what we do.'"

It's not just bartenders and cocktail crafters getting in on the trend. Frankie Simmons, a 27-year-old lifestyle content creator in Fort Worth, Texas posted a non-alcoholic Negroni Sbagliato for the "sober curious girlies." "I saw so many people that were enjoying it and talking about ordering it, and I realized that a lot of people in my audience were also seeing this content," Simmons tells Mashable. "I wanted to make the trend accessible to people that are trying not to drink at the moment."

People are making a lot of noise online about the Negroni Sbagliato, but has this trend transcended shitposting and entered the real world?

"It's fascinating because it's a polarizing cocktail. So many people are going out and trying this cocktail that most of them are not going to like because it's so bitter. It goes to show how a viral sound will get people to try something that they normally wouldn't," says Rhodes.

Rebecca Rampersaud, a 29-year-old fashion and tech entrepreneur in Leeds and House of the Dragon fan, posted a Negroni Sbagliato recipe to her TikTok account @beccasaud. Her video accumulated nearly 900,000 views and over 46,000 likes. But despite posting the recipe several days ago, Rampersaud admits she has yet to try a Negroni Sbagliato herself, but she plans to make it tonight. "[If my video hadn't blown up] I don't think I would have ended up making it," she tells Mashable.

Maybe this is just a classic case of an internet trend having no real-world impact, or maybe the Negroni Sbagliato will become the new Aperol Spritz. Either way, the one thing the internet can agree on is that they're all thirsty for D'Arcy.

View the full article