Imogen Heap

Oddball songbird Imogen Heap has been pestering the lower echelons of the charts for nearly ten years. Now her fortunes have perked up, with her tracks featuring on film soundtracks, adverts and TV shows, including The OC. She's just completed a tour where her gimmick was to recruit support acts via MySpace. She plays the Roundhouse, Camden, next Tuesday.

These films and adverts must be lucrative. Have you bought anything flash?

No, I release records on my own label and pay for press and radio people. It costs a lot of money and the adverts come in handy. I’ve never been into spending lots of money or wanted a house in the country and a Lamborghini. It’s just nice to be able to go to the cinema without checking my bank account first.

How many instruments can you play?

Piano, computer, a G5 Mac - if you make an album on it, you play it as far as I’m concerned - clarinet, cello, guitar, drums and an instrument called an mbira. There aren’t many in the world. It’s a box the size of a suitcase with sound holes and big metal prongs that you pluck.

Read the full interview at the UK Metro

• 3 weeks later...

Drowned in Sound interviews contemporary singer Imogen Heap:

"She’s possibly the ultimate contemporary one-woman band, running around the stage to play piano and keyboards and some other stuff as well that escapes me right now. She’s utterly mental onstage, offstage and everywhere else, and is quite easily the best thing that’s ever been in The OC. Yes, even better than either of the hot brunette ones.

More to the point, she is also Imogen Heap and she has answered Some Questions with deep thought, witty wit and alarmingly gritty realism. Ms Heap, we salute you and everyone who sails in your eternally majestic boat. I want a boat! I ride bike!"

Read the full interview right here