Beyonce celebrates birthday in style

KiwiCoromandel

When most people turn 25, they might have a few drinks - or even a party. But international singing sensation Beyonce Knowles had a better way to celebrate her big day on September 4 - she released an album.

"We were going through dates for the release and we came across September 4, and I said, `Wow, that's really crazy, that's my birthday," she says.

"This album feels like a celebration, we should put it out on my birthday. We can name it B'Day for my birthday and for Beyonce's day to share my music with the world.

"I'm excited because the whole album is so empowering and it feels like a big celebration. A big party."

Beyonce shot to stardom as a founding member of girl band Destiny's Child. But she hit new heights as a solo artist with her 2003 album Dangerously In Love which had hits Crazy In Love and Baby Boy.

But with B'Day, she wanted an album with the "girl power" feel of some of Destiny's Child songs.

"I wanted it to kinda inspire women, because I know with Destiny's Child with The Writing's on the Wall, Independent Women and Survivor and all those records, I felt really it meant so much to women and I wanted to do that again.

"I wanted to be the voice for women who need that strength ?that little boost of confidence."

Beyonce says she didn't even want to sleep while making the album - she was having so much fun at the studio.

And that comes across in the music.

"If you're having a girls' night out and you're getting ready, putting your makeup on, picking out your clothes, this is the album you and your girls will listen to," she says.

"Or if you have a break-up or if one of your friends is going through a tough relationship, y'all will kind of sit around and have your girls' night and talk and drink your wine and dance and laugh, it's fun.

"It's almost like a celebration, you know, you feel good to be strong, it doesn't make you feel angry, it makes you feel like, 'Yes, I can do it.'"

Not that Beyonce has any vious relationship problems.

Her long-term partner, rapper Jay-Z, collaborated with her on the song Crazy In Love, and was an influence on B'Day.

"He's a great artist, a great rapper, a great songwriter with a great ear," she says. And marriage and babies could be on the horizon for Beyonce and Jay-Z.

"It'll happen when it happens," she says. "I've grown up with two parents that have been married for 27 years and my sister now has a son, and just to watch them is the most beautiful thing ever."

Beyonce famously shed some weight off her bootylicious frame for a role in the new movie Dreamgirls.

Having previously acted in Austin Powers In Goldmember, The Pink Panther and The Fighting Temptations, Dreamgirls is her favourite role to date.

"Dreamgirls was one of those things in life that was just meant to be," she says.

"I was born the same year the Broadway play was here in New York. I just know that I was born to play the part!

"It was the best experience I've had with doing a movie."

Although Destiny's Child is now in the past, there's no animosity between Beyonce and the other band members Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.

In fact, the three girls are still the best of friends and are in regular contact.

"I still feel like I'm part of a group, like I'm always gonna be part of a group," Beyonce says.

"We love each other, and we're sisters. I still have them to call and ask, 'Did you like this song? Did you like this video?'" With so much going on, it's easy to wonder how Beyonce manages to keep balance in her life.

She makes a point of scheduling "down time" so she doesn't burn out.

"It's important I have quality of life and it? important I don't wake up and have all these things that don't really mean that much and I haven? enjoyed my life.

"So one thing I've learned is to make sure I have balance and make sure I say 'OK, after two weeks I have to set aside this time for me to relax, and enjoy the fruits of my labour'. And that's something that I focus on."

Working in such a creative industry, Beyonce say she is constantly making discoveries about herself.

"Every time I get in the studio and try to write a song I have to think about myself and why I behave the way I behave and why people behave the way they behave and it's very much like therapy.

"Every time I do a movie I have to think about what brings certain emotions out of me, and it's great because I'm able to learn about myself and learn about people around me."

The singer picks up inspiration from people around her.

"My friends influence me to write certain songs. When I'm around my father he influences me to be more business savvy.

"Different things inspire different things in me. I try to surround myself with really smart people, and people that are gonna make me want to be better."

Beyonce has a special message to her fans in New Zealand: "All my international fans, I'm so grateful because I've been able to travel the world and I'm just amazed at your loyalty.

"And I can't wait to come oversees and see everyone and learn more about your culture and I hope you like my album.

"I hope it brings some joy to your life, I hope you have a good time dancing and grooving to it."

source:sunday news

image:Reuters:BIRTHDAY GIRL...Beyonce celebrated her 25th birthday by releasing her new album, B'Day.

post-193-1158200221_thumb.jpg