Why I need ten remote controls..

KiwiCoromandel

Aussie Assistant Trades Hall secretary Nathan Niven talks tech with David Wilson....

What is your favourite gadget?....

My PalmTreo 600 organiser. I have upgraded from the Treo 300 to the Treo 350 and now the Treo 650 as I can't organise my life without it. I love that I can synchronise my home computer with my work computer through the phone, which is great for maintaining a busy diary. The email features work well and the full keyboard makes texting possible. Added to that, the ability to have applications such as train timetables for different cities, city maps, GPS and language translators make it indispensable for me.

What is the first gadget you use in the morning?

A Samsung electronic timer I use to automatically set the coffee machine, normally used for turning on/off lights. I have set mine to turn on the coffee percolator 10 minutes before my morning alarm so that I wake to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for toasters - trust me I have tried!

And the last gadget you use at night?

Most likely my USB memory stick from Kingston. It has 1 GB in memory so for large files I'm working on it is great to be able to store them on the memory stick and carry them anywhere. They are particularly useful for presentations as well. I also flick the switch on my iRobot. It zooms around doing the vacuuming and returns to the docking station while I sleep. It also returns to the station when it needs recharging.

What is at the centre of your home entertainment system?

I have engineered the LG TV and Kenwood Stereo through my home theatre system, digital set-top box, Foxtel and the Xbox. Using a hub, I have everything plugged in at the same time. It is actually a two-TV set-up. I also have a Rabbit system, which enables me to beam the signal to any TV in the house.

What have you got in your car?

I have really gone to town in the car. It started with a satellite navigation system, which led to a TV and DVD player, and now includes a reversing camera, which I note is a feature on some new cars. I'd like to think I was first with that idea, which I pinched from observing trucks backing into loading bays. The TV can't be watched while the car is moving but it can be listened to like the radio. The DVD makes long trips much more enjoyable. I would connect the XBox but I have run out of input sockets on the system. I'm still working on getting Foxtel into the car. I have developed a satellite dish which can move around but at ground level there are too many physical obstructions for the signal - it's a work in progress.

When you're not busy fighting Howard's industrial relations laws, how many remote controls are you fencing with?

Up to a dozen in all. Ten at home - seven downstairs for the multimedia, three in my upstairs bedroom, one in the car and one in the office. I am always on the lookout for batteries.

Do you remember the first gadget you bought?

My father was a seaman voyaging back and forth from Japan so he often bought me interesting gadgets. A stereo, Walkman and digital watches were the early gadgets, followed by scientific calculators. I guess I had an early passion for gadgets.

What's the gadget you want next?

A good composite remote. I could replace seven remotes with one. I have seen them in the stores and they would make my life simpler.

What's the gadget of your dreams?

I would dearly love a mobile phone that could have two simcards so I could have one phone and two mobile numbers, one for work and one for friends and family. I understand this type of phone exists in the US.

My favourite things:

1. Palm Treo 650 mobile phone/ PDA.

2. iRobot robotic vacuum cleaner.

3. Satellite navigation in the car.

4. Kingston memory stick.

5. Samsung timer.

source:livewire

image:eddie jim....Nathan Nive with his remotes..

post-193-1156377232_thumb.jpg