The New World

Shawn

How f'ing dumb is this? I've had the movie for a few months now but just decided to look at watching it.

IMDB says the following:

When 17th century explorer John Smith and a few men go up the river to trade with the Indians, he befriends the princess Pocahontas and they fall in love. While in love, Smith must obtain his duties as president of Jamestown fort and challenges to himself what is the better path for himself to take: stay with the fallen apart colony or go up the river and love Pocahontas in the wild. The Indians realize that the English do not mean to leave, so they attack. A few men at the fort decide to capture Pocahontas as a hostage so the Indians will not attack them. Smith is ordered to leave Jamestown by the King, and John Rolfe, a wealthy tobacco planter arrives at the fort. Pocahontas, now living there adapts to the English cultures and falls in love with Rolfe. She falls apart deciding who she is dedicated to, Smith or Rolfe.

Can you see the word I'm freaking out about?

The general trend in movies is that they are becoming more adept at admitting the general shortcomings in European behaviour upon exploring the America's. I have no doubt that this movie is intended to follow along in that same path.

Throughout North American history one group has taken a double beating for their placement in society. Native [Aboriginal] women. First, they were Native, second they were women. Extensive research has gone on to show that Native women are only shown in media [any media] in one of two lights.

1. The filthy squaw

2. The meek, charming, backward princess.

There were no princesses in Aboriginal societies. It's a European concept. The hierarchy structure was seldom even along family lines. In fact in several Native cultures the women were the dominant leadership until that was displaced by European structuring.

This 'sensitive' movie, intended to portray Pocahontas in a tender light is nothing short of an extension of the Princess stereotype. Why not portray her as a fucking human?

--

I'll shut up now. I haven't even watched the movie. Maybe it was just the write-up person at IMDB that was the arse.