Eartha Kitt beats cancer

Singing legend Eartha Kitt has revealed she has had colon cancer.

The 79-year-old said she was now fine after surgery in April, when the disease was discovered.

"They operated right away, and I'm fine," she said. "I never expect anything to happen to me. I'm the healthiest person in the world."

source:reuters

post-193-1149979029.jpg

Eartha Kitt was born in 1927, the daughter of a white father and African American/ Native Indian mother, a mix that greatly contributed to her exotic look and appeal. She made her breakthrough with the Katherine Dunham Company and scored her very first film in 1948 with Casbah. It was during her time with the revue New Faces of 1952 that Kitt would perform three of the hit songs she would henceforth be associated with; 'Santa Baby', 'C'est Si Bon' and 'Monotonous'. In 1960, she garnered the role of Catwoman, another role she was famous for due to her purring drawl...

Controversy followed in 1968 when Kitt made anti war statements at no less a place than the White House itself. She was professionally banned from working in the US but that did not deter her. Kitt found a ready and waiting audience for her overseas and when she returned to the States in 1978, it was with another memorable performance and song in the Broadway production Timbuktu with her unforgettable song which explains the recipe for a cannabis preparation. In 1984, Kitt hit the music charts with her dance number Where is My Man, which went on to become a gay anthem of sorts. Kitt embraced her new fan following and still does a number of concerts for HIV/AIDS benefits. Even in 2004, fans were able to catch Kitt on the stage and on screen- it seems like this unstoppable performer just gets better with age!

In the cabaret arena, few can touch the performances that Kitt has brought to the stage.

some of the songs made famous by eartha kitt..... :)

Just An Old Fashioned Girl

I Want To Be Evil

In Paris: Let's Do It

C'est Si Bon (It's So Good)

My Heart Belongs To Daddy

Under The Bridges Of Paris

Mink, Schmink

post-193-1150000636_thumb.jpg

post-193-1150000675.jpg

At first I felt bad about forgetting the name of someone I spanked it to as a youth but in retrospect that was Julie Newmar.

:D

I am talking about 'Where Is My Man?'. One of the coolest tracks of all time.

billie holliday and ella fitzgerald did stand-out versions of "where is my man?".... :)