Computers Nabbed In Michael Jackson Case

Kooperman

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 7, 2004

Computers Studied in Michael Jackson Case

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:52 a.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A dozen hard drives from computers seized at Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch and elsewhere are being analyzed, according to a motion by prosecutors in the pop star's child molestation case.

The motion, filed Friday, asked Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville to seal the search warrants and affidavits that would explain what data were being sought from the computers. Prosecutors also asked for the sealing of documents that will be filed once the search is completed.

Jackson is charged with seven counts of lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 and two counts of giving the child an ``intoxicating agent.'' He pleaded innocent Jan. 16 in Melville's court in Santa Maria.

The prosecution motion said hard drives were taken from three computers seized during a Nov. 18 search of Jackson's home and property. It also indicated that hard drives were taken from an unspecified address in Los Angeles County.

Deputy District Attorney Gerald McC. Franklin said in the motion that the information set out in the search warrant affidavit is privileged because it involves an investigation of child molestation.

The document said the warrant for further inspection of the hard drives was issued Feb. 2. Normally search warrants become public record 10 days after they are executed.

The motion is set to be argued at Jackson's next pretrial hearing Feb. 13.

In other action Friday, the judge denied media requests for cameras to be admitted to the courtroom at the Feb. 13 hearing. Melville barred cameras from Jackson's arraignment, but he was asked by a group of news organizations, including The Associated Press, to reconsider his ruling for the pretrial hearing.

Also Friday, Jackson issued a brief statement denying rumors he said recently surfaced that a ``rift'' has developed between himself, members of his family and the Nation of Islam, whose members have been providing him security.

``Let me state for the record, this is not true. There is no 'rift,''' Jackson said.

``If my friends love me as much as they've indicated, then they'd do me a great favor by not being so eager to air their personal concerns about me in the media, which will avoid causing me further embarrassment,'' he added.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Mi...print&position=