Is p2p killing CD sales?

method77

A Japanese paper published just before Christmas says there’s, “not sufficient evidence that file sharing systems are responsible for the recent decline in CD sales”.

This is interesting in and of itself but what makes it doubly compelling is the fact it was prepared from micro data gleaned from Winny, the p2p system which got its creator, Isamu Kaneko, a 33-year-old Tokyo University assistant researcher, arrested.

Winny has gone on to become the most popular p2p application in Japan and now Dr Tatsuo Tanaka of Keio University says, in his research results:

Increased file exchange via P2P app Winny has no relationship in the recent decline of CD sales

p2p usage helps in the promotion of music by allowing users to experience it before purchase

p2p usage helps in the discovery of new music by users.

Tanaka also says his work suggests copyright laws should be relaxed rather than tightened to allow for more positive effects of broadband internet file sharing.

Story read at p2pnet.net.

The .pdf is attached below

tanaka.pdf

Pretty similar to Harvard's findings. You can't trust those academics though, they don't fill the coffers like the labels.

I got angry thinking about it and sent another letter to my wondrous gov't.

To the P.M.

Mr. Martin,

First, let me acknowledge you wouldn't be receiving this letter had Heritage Minister Liza Frulla's contact information been as easily accessible on the internet as your own.

I'm concerned about your government’s proposed changes to the copyright laws of our nation. While I understand the pressure to adhere to International, or perhaps more accurately American pressure, I believe you are selling our nation short through your blind desire to make amends for alleged past indiscretions towards our southern neighbours.

While the Canadian Recording Industry parrots their American brethren in denouncing file-sharing as a strain upon their business, I ask you to look for proof. To my knowledge, there have only been two independent studies conducted into the effects of file-sharing on music sales. Those studies, conducted at Harvard and Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo respectively, both reported that there was no causal link to decreased profits.

http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?a...e=post&id=78995

The only people whose studies are showing any correlation at all are those done by the recording industry itself. The fact that those are the only studies you have chosen to take into account says more about you than those figures do about file-sharing. I have included links to the relevant studies here to allow you the opportunity to see the bigger picture.

I can only hope you rise above the station of place-holder in history and attempt positive steps to maintain our heritage of uniqueness.

I know it's useless, but deep down shouldn't we all dream that citizens who speak the truth might someday have as much sway as pocket-lining corporations?

I agree Shawn. I sent a letter to a minister once about the ISPs prices. In fact, I've sent a lot of letters to the goverments over the years. Not just emails.

Some might think it's useless but my consious (spelling?) is clear. I actually did something.

I once got an answer back from a minister. It was about a job that someone else got but I was more qualified. I didn't want the other guy fired though and I just gave up.

there is nothing wrong in participating in the political process of your country........that is your right.....if you niggle at them (the politicians) enough, sometimes they do sit up and take notice..especially in an election year... :read this: :)

I think the record companies are losing CD sales because some people prefer to be entertained by DVDs because they are longer and the stimulation is both audio and visual. I don't watch movies more than once so a CD is worth more to me than a DVD. The RIAA should focus its wrath on the movie industry (MPAA) instead of focusing its wrath on its fans who are the filesharers.

Edited by eclectica