What’s your favourite guitar solo?

KiwiCoromandel

It seems appropriate, after yesterday’s post regarding Jeff Beck, to look at guitar solos. A while back I posted some of my favourite players and referenced a guitar moment – but here I want to look at guitar solos. The title of the previous guitar post came from a collection of Frank Zappa guitar solos; he liked the idea of releasing collections of his live guitar solos away from the context of a song.

My interest in guitar-based music across all genres means that sometimes my favourite playing to enjoy is Django Reinhardt’s gypsy jazz. Sometimes I really dig blues music for solos: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton were all formative players when my ears were taking shape early on. And so many metal albums are important from Led Zeppelin’s catalogue to Appetite for Destruction; from Black Sabbath’s slow-grinding doom to Ride the Lightning and of course Ozzy Osbourne’s solo records.

Neil Young’s Crazy Horse albums contain many favourite moments for me when it comes to guitar solos – that’s why it was so cool to see and hear him play Cortez the Killer, Powderfinger, Cinnamon Girl, Cowgirl in the Sand and Love and Only Love – among others – at last week’s BDO appearance.

But can I think of just one favourite solo?

Not likely.

read on....

http://www.stuff.co.nz//blogs/blogonthetra...te-guitar-solo/

source:SIMON SWEETMAN/Blog on the Tracks

image:Stuff.co.nz....Guitar Solos..which is your favourite..?

post-193-1232852650_thumb.jpg

Maybe it might be better to post some of our favorites. Check out Prince's guitar solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps @ The George Harrison Tribute

..i don`t agree with all this guy`s (simon sweetman) views on who`s up who and who isn`t paying in the music/entertainment world but his blog is quite interesting...he carries a bit of weight in the music critic industry down here...honestly we`ve got experts and commentators on every fucking thing in this little country...half of them are only just out of college and the whole country hangs on their every bloody word...oh well...another one for the blog collection...

...As to my favourite guitar solo...well my favourite guitarist was Frank Zappa and on this emotive subject i would brook no arguments...BUT...and it`s hard to say this...i have heard a lot of fresh new and some really old guitar oriented stuff from many different eras of rock/metal guitar playing over the last 12 months of lying around not doing much and i`m having to rethink my views on this extremely important issue... (sorry Frank)...which is tough for an old bastard like me i can tell you...let`s just say the jury`s still out on that one....and now i`m going to have to go and figure out the favourite solo thing all over again as well.... (sorry Robin, sorry Rory, sorry...gasp..JIMI!!)...ah well...straight into it mates...here goes... :lol::stereo:

post-193-1232856710_thumb.jpg

The first comment in the article was dead on!!

I think Brian May of Queen deserves a mention. Listen to Brighton Rock from Live Killers and you’ll hear what I mean - using echo and delay to overlay himself live, and keep it all in time, is frickin’ genius. Not to mention the innumerable solos he’s performed, as well as being responsible for Queen’s underlying sound.

Comment by Niri Tacen — 22 January 2009 @ 10:05 am