Kanye West Receives Video Vanguard Award From Taylor Swift, Delivers Epic Speech at VMAs

Kanye West Receives Video Vanguard Award From Taylor Swift, Delivers Epic Speech at VMAs

As previously announced, Kanye West received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at tonight's MTV Video Music Awards. And none other than Taylor Swift presented him with the award, calling him her "friend." "I'mma let you finish, but Kanye West has had one of the greatest careers of all time," she joked, referring to West's infamous interruption in 2009. Watch it below.

In his epic, intense 13-minute acceptance speech, which can be watched below, Kanye expressed remorse, but also defended his actions. He talked about how the incident has shadowed him throughout his career, and how seeing Justin Timberlake "in tears" after losing Album of the Year at the Grammys in 2009 inspired him to get up on stage and defend Beyoncé.

He also said, "I still don't understand award shows," before launching into an indictment of the entire award show system.

Other quotes: "I will die for the art, for what I believe in." "We not gonna control our kids with brands."

And finally, he ended with, "I have decided in 2020 to run for President."

Earlier in the night, West joined Big Sean and John Legend on stage when they won the VMA for Video With a Social Message for Dark Sky Paradise's "One Man Can Change the World".

[url=http://pitchfork.com/news/60999-kanye-west-receives-video-vanguard-award-from-taylor-swift-delivers-epic-speech-at-vmas/]View the full article[/url]