Nicki Minaj: 'I Am Lyrically Better Than Most Male Rappers'

NelsonG

Nicki Minaj is beginning work on her third solo album (if you’re not counting the re-release Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up), and at this point she’s only competing with herself. In addition to putting up out of this world sales numbers, the YMCMB rapper is confident that she’s “lyrically better than most of the male rappers out there,” even if she doesn’t get the credit for it.

During her recent "MTV First" interview, Nicki admitted that before she dropped her second album, she was worried about outdoing her previous accomplishments— I had just sold 2.5 million records worldwide, so I had all these things in my head like, ‘can I live up to this?”—but now all of that has been by confidence.

“I felt so bombarded with everything that people were expecting, but this time I care less about the acceptance and more about me being the lyrical ill bitch that I am,” she said, “Knowing that I am lyrically better than most of the male rappers out there—yes, I’m gonna say it. I don’t get the credit that I deserve.”

Nicki pointed to one of the tracks on her Re-Up album as an example of her bars being overlooked. ‘Like ‘Up in Flames,’ if a dude was on a that song with me, everyone would’ve talked about it and they would [argue] ‘who had the best verse’ but when I put a song out by myself...” she trailed off, before adding that the male-dominated industry has something to do with it. “[It’s] because men run the hip-hop game—let’s be honest, they’re the program directors, they wanna be able to rap stuff and they’re not gonna recite a female [verse], they just feel funny and it is what it is.”

“But when I look at my verses and the wordplay and the metaphors and all that stuff, outside of a hot new artist or a hot new song, I’ve put in my work lyrically, and people act like it doesn’t exist.”

With all that said, there’s nothing to do but keep it moving. “Before, I used to get upset about it but now it drives me. I’m gonna keep on playing, keep on having fun and keep on giving my fans what they expect from me, which is greatness. I’m not going to allow that to deter me. I’m super duper excited to get back into the studio.”

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/04/03/nicki-minaj-i-am-lyrically-better-than-most-male-rappers/]View the full article[/url]