Meek Mill To Pastor Boycotting 'Amen': 'You're Trying To Get Famous'

NelsonG

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

Meek Mill and Philadelphia pastor Rev. Jomo K. Johnson, who is waging a boycott against the rapper, went toe-to-toe on Wednesday (July 11) in a volatile interview on Philadelphia’s Hot 107.9 radio station. Meek addressed Johnson's accusations that he is a negative, blasphemous role model in what turned into a heated exchange.

“This looking like you trying to get famous, or you need some attention, because you could have came to me and said anything you wanted to say,” Meek said. “I might've helped you. If you needed money for your church or whatever I might've woulda gave you that money. I might've even remixed the song ["Amen"] with Kirk Franklin or anything you wanted to do. You went about it... like you looking for attention and fame.”

Johnson responded, “My plea to you is to turn from sin, turn from blasphemy, turn from unrighteousness, that you’re purporting in your music—turn to Jesus Christ and receive eternal life. It doesn’t matter how much money you get, without Jesus Christ you will be lost eternally.” The pastor went on to say that he wanted to see Meek saved and he himself did four years in jail and God changed his life.

The two continued to go back and forth. Meek blasted Johnson for having a worse criminal record than he has and got audibly angry about why his charity work in the community doesn't get the proper attention. “Where was you at?” screamed Meek and then cited how his 80-year-old grandmother is religious and has no problems with the song. “He can't judge me!" yelled Meek. "When you blast Jesus Christ...I have the right to say it's wrong," said Johnson. The lengthy argument continued on without conclusion.

RapFix reported yesterday that Johnson has urged fans to boycott Meek over, among other things, what he deems the blasphemous song "Amen." The number featuring Drake has heavy sexual overtones and uses religions themes and soundscapes. Johnson first called for a boycott of Meek on his blog, Deadestrapperalive.com and he has also self-published a book on the subject called "No Amen: Why Boycotting Meek Mill Will Help Save Hip Hop."

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/07/12/meek-mill-argues-with-pastor-boycotting-amen/]View the full article[/url]