Kanye West's 6th Album Arrives After Cruel Summer

NelsonG

By Rob Markman

Kanye West and his G.O.O.D. Music team are currently gearing up to release their compilation album Cruel Summer, but fans of the enigmatic rapper/producer can be excited to know that 'Ye's sixth solo album is due shortly after his label project.

"He's coming right after that," Def Jam VP and multiplatinum Chicago producer No I.D.  revealed to MTV News on the red carpet for the ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Music Awards in Los Angeles on June 29.

No I.D., who produced Common's 1994 classic "Resurrection" as well as more recent hits for Jay-Z ("Run This Town") and Big Sean ("My Last"), has been a longtime friend of Kanye's, and though he isn't working on Cruel Summer, we can look for his name in the production credits of 'Ye's next solo shot.

"I'm not working on that [Cruel Summer] album, I'm working on his album," he said before cryptically telling us what's to come on the upcoming G.O.O.D. LP. "This is Kanye. You know what to expect from the family. He hasn't missed yet, so don't expect him to miss."

Hard to believe now, but there was a time when the expectations for a Kanye West album weren't very high. Originally, the brass at Roc-A-Fella Records figured that even if their star producer failed as a rapper on his 2004 debut, The College Dropout, they could just overload the release with a ton of features from the label's star artists like Jay-Z, Cam'ron and Beanie Sigel. Now, after dropping LPs like the Grammy-winning Late Registration and 2010's critical darling My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,the expectations for a Yeezy album are perhaps higher than any other artist out today.

But No I.D. is confident the rap star will once again deliver. "It's what you expect and everything you don't expect," he said.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/07/06/kanye-west-sixth-album-due-after-cruel-summer/]View the full article[/url]