Q-Tip Joins Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music Family

NelsonG

By Nadeska Alexis

G.O.O.D. Music will be the team to watch this spring, when the all-star label drops their first group album, but in the meantime Kanye West has added his friend and veteran rapper/producer Q-Tip to the Def Jam imprint. 

Kanye West, 2 Chainz, Pusha T And Big Sean Show No 'Mercy' On New Track

On Wednesday (April 11), Universal Republic chairman and CEO Barry Weiss announced that the veteran rapper and producer is the latest addition to the G.O.O.D Music family, which operates under Def Jam Recordings.

Q-Tip, who built his legacy as a member of the iconic group A Tribe Called Quest, released his last solo album, the previously shelved Kamaal/ The Abstract, in 2009. The Renaissance came out in 2008. They were released via Motown and Battery Records. Now he's set to drop his fourth solo LP, tentatively titled The Last Zulu, under the G.O.O.D. Music/ Def Jam umbrella.

Kanye West Makes A Silent Visit To '106 And Park' With 2 Chainz

"I'm excited to be a part of the great iconic Def Jam label," Q-Tip said in a statement. "I'm humbled to be a part of such a storied history. To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I'm excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting-edge music I can."

Q-Tip and Kanye have worked closely together in the past, most recently teaming up for production on West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Watch the Throne, his joint album with Jay-Z.

Weiss, who worked with Q-Tip during his tenure with A Tribe Called Quest on Jive Records in the 1990s, says that he's "thrilled to be working with Q-Tip once again."

With Q-Tip now on board, it's likely that the Queens native will leave his mark on the upcoming G.O.O.D. Music album, which is set to the debut this spring. The album's first single "Mercy" dropped last week with features from Big Sean, Pusha T and fellow Def Jam signee 2 Chainz. Q-Tip will join a label whose roster includes John Legend, Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Pusha T, Cyhi Da Prynce, Mr. Hudson and Mos Def.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/04/11/q-tip-joins-kanye-west-good-music-labe/]View the full article[/url]