Machine Gun Kelly Is 2011's Hottest Breakthrough MC On 'RapFix Live'

NelsonG

After a week of voting, fans have chosen Machine Gun Kelly as 2011's Hottest Breakthrough MC. When he first learned of his nomination, the Cleveland, Ohio native was determined to claim the top spot. "To be considered for the hottest breakthrough MC of 2011, it's obviously an honor, but I want to be the hottest. I've never been comfortable with sharing anything: I was a single child," he told Sway on last week's episode of "RapFix Live." This week, when he won the competition, MGK gave a shout out to his dedicated fans who logged in hours of voting.

Kells began battle-rapping around 2004 while he was still in high school, and graduated to the studio in 2006 when he dropped his very first mixtape, Stamp of Approval. All the while, he struggled through school, but eventually graduated. Kells went on to work a few odd jobs and become a dad. In 2010, he dropped another tape, 100 Words and Runnin' — but it was with his second tape that year, Lace Up, that folks really began to take notice.

2011 Hottest Breakthrough MCs, Day 7: Machine Gun Kelly, Lil Twist On Top

Songs like his hometown ode "Cleveland" and the heartfelt "End of the Road" went on to establish MGK as not only a relatable MC, but a fully capable spitter as well. Kells went on to tour and perform across the country, then in August, he announced on "RapFix Live" he had signed a deal with Diddy's Bad Boy Records.

2011 Hottest Breakthrough MCs, Day 6: Machine Gun Kelly, Lil Twist, Mac Miller Lead

Now MGK is putting the finishing touches on his debut, set to drop in 2012. One of the album's guests will be Kells' all-time favorite rapper, DMX. For MGK, recording with the dog was surreal. "I felt like he was going to think I was weird because I kept staring at him the whole time, 'cause I'm like, 'Dude, this is my idol,' " MGK said.

2011 Hottest Breakthrough MCs, Day 4: Lil Twist, Machine Gun Kelly Lead

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/12/14/machine-gun-kelly-is-2011-hottest-breakthrough-mc/]View the full article[/url]