Bbc- Radio 1 Talks To Missy Elliot

Shawn

Transcript snippets from Missy Elliot explaining her new album, 'This Is Not A Test'.

'Baby Girl'

"Baby Girl is the nickname for Aaliyah that her parents gave her. I dedicated this album to her... With Aaliyah's passing - I've learned to appreciate people while they're here and tell them that I love them."

'Pass That Dutch'

"When people first hear the name 'Pass That Dutch', we immediately think - oh she's talking about smoking... it's (about) a Dutch dance that we created around the record... 'Pass That Dutch' is a get-on-the-floor-and-dance record."

'Wake Up'

"'Wake Up', featuring Jay-Z, is just telling the kids that you don't need all the materialistic things that you hear MCs talk about... We want people to know that you can be fly without it and hip hop in general should wake up."

'Keep It Movin'

'Hot Boys' took me into the Guiness World Book Of Records for the longest running rap single and ('Keep It Movin') has a feeling of that... it's not necessarily a dance record, it's just a grimy grind out record."

'Is This Our Last Time'

"This is taken from another record which was recorded by Shalamar. It was Jody Watley who sung the record. But it's kind of mid-temp groove, old school RnB with Fabolous. Not old school rap... old school RnB."

'Ragtime Interlude/I'm Really Hot'

'The Ragtime Interlude' will make you feel like (it's) real 1940s, with my hair pinned up, with a gown on and a flower in my hair, playing a piano, singing by the bar... kind of like it was Chicago..."

The interview has many more pieces, a total of 15 songs on the album. Anyone who's interested can also hear the interview from the source, here.