The Dark Side Of The Music World

HolyMoly

When I was growing up in rural Eastern Oregon in the early 1960s, I watched a CBS News special on the Ku Klux Klan. During the special, they played a song that had become popular in Oklahoma at the time. FWIW, as the song was playing, I heard my step-dad "humming" along to it ... as if he already knew it. He was the most racist person I knew when I was growing up ... referring to blacks as niggers, Jews as kikes, Latinos a spics or wetbacks, and Catholics as papists. And, though I found no direct proof of it, I had every suspicion that he was a member of the Klan himself.

In any case, I didn't remember the name of the song but assumed it was the last line of the song's refrain ... which I did remember:

America for whites,

Africa for blacks,

Keep those monkeys in the trees,

Ship those niggers back

So, a few years ago when I first used KLite, I decided to see if I could find a song titled "Ship Those Niggers Back." Not only did I find it, I found it was being shared by a LOT of different users. The artist's name (or pseudonym) was Johnny Rebel. And, when I did a search for Johnny Rebel, the results screen filled with shared songs ... with titles like "Who Likes A Nigger," "Nigger-Hatin' Me," "Cajun KKK," etc., etc., ad nauseum. FWIW, I just did a check and found 114 songs by Johnny Rebel being shared.

Johnny Rebel's real name is "C. J. Trahan" and he's still alive and making music. Here's an article about him published just last year:

http://www.letthemeatlead.com/archives/iss...johnnyrebel.htm

But Johnny Rebel is just the tip of a very big iceberg of "hate music" currently making the rounds today. Below is a link to a list compiled by the Antidefamation League:

Bigots Who Rock - An ADL List of Hate Music Groups by Country

Hmm.

In Canada they're the Aryan Nation. Same shit.

This reminds me of a guy I went to school with. He drummed for a living in a variety of bands. The last band he was with, and it was the last, had what he figured was a pretty cool guy @ 10 years older than him upfront.

One weekend the guy took my bud out to an initiation of sorts. It was some of paramilitary group. It scared the hell out of him, but he refused to join.

When he got back to town many hours later, he gave up music. I haven't spoken to him in a few years, but I doubt he's gone back. I always wondered, at the time, why one crazyish bastard could deter him from his passion. Now I wonder if it was such an isolated event in the local industry.

I think it's the shortest mystery of all time.

As much as I have no respect for bigots, I do recognize most older country singer's voices.

IMHO C. J. Trahan - David Alann Coe

If you search Coe, you'll find that many of the songs are directly attributed to him. This guy was a favorite of my father too.

It's kinda sad, but I have 5 of his albums, never paid the lyrics much attention, i just liked the beat....J/k i don't let these kinda people bother me, simply because if there so busy with their music, they don't get at enought to be a real active racists....

$0.02

Weird but true: I had no idea p2p existed until around 2001 when, at a neighborhood yard sale, a neighbor saw my albums for sale and engaged me in conversation about how he gets all the music he needs from this place called audiogalaxy. I had never heard of such a shangri-la, so I checked it out a few days later and was blown away. I went to the neighbor's house to thank him for the tip and he invited me in to check out his collection. The main focus of what he had was this race hate music. I shuffled my ass out of there and avoided that redneck bozo at every opportunity afterward. Crazy world....

• 4 weeks later...
I've read a lot of things about Lynyrd Skynyrd too. That group was HUGE back then. I like their music. Am I a racist? Nope.

L.S. are from the South and proud of their heritage--but I have never heard of them being devout racists...

L.S. are from the South and proud of their heritage--but I have never heard of them being devout racists...

I dont know too much about LS (except the whole Neil Young thing) but i never heard of them being racists.

Hey method, out of curiosity have they done anything to make you think that?

....of course none of the rap/hip-hop music has any racist or homophobic content at all ....Makes me want to start a White Entertainment Channel.

Of course no one stands up to these clowns.

Only the KKK and the Nazis are racist.

rrrrright

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the hate bands are young and into metal - but one could imagine something like this if the old generation of haters came out of the closet:

post-23-1079247481_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Bad Boys Of The Rock World

6. Jim Gordon

The former drummer of Derek and the Dominoes co-wrote Layla with Eric Clapton. He also murdered his mother in 1983 believing she was Satan (the one with horns, not Clapton). Thankfully, he is still locked up.

5. Spade Cooley

The self-dubbed 'King of Western Swing' killed his wife in 1961 after kicking her to death in front of his teenage daughter. Her crime? She wanted a divorce. He died of a heart attack soon after.

4. Hugh Whitaker

It's always the quiet ones. Looking at him, the former drummer of the Housemartins looks like he wouldn't say boo to a goose. He even took being sacked from the Hull-based group in good spirits. But something snapped in 1993, when he firebombed the house of former business associate James Hewitt and hit him in the head with an axe. Whitaker has since been released from prison and now lives in Leeds, where he occasionally drums with a local band called Percy.

3. Varg Vikernes

Norwegian Vikernes is described as 'the most notorious metal musician of all time'. And with good reason, the man behind black metal band Burzum was caged in 1993 for murdering Mayhem's Oystein Aarseth – a former associate. The reason behind the murder is still not clear. Before his spell in jail, he regularly enjoyed church burning. He is due for parole in April.

2. Jah Cure

The baddest of all reggae stars, Cure was jailed in 1999 for 15 years after raping a woman at gunpoint. He has since been released but was refused entry into the UK last year due to his criminal conviction.

1. Leadbelly

The original bad boy, controversial Blues star Leadbelly spent most of life in and out of prison. He was first jailed as an unruly teenager in 1918 for assaulting 'a truculent Dallas prostitute'. It wasn't long before he was back in the clink, this time for gunning down one of his own relatives. He was given a 35 years, but was let out after just two – allegedly because the governor liked his music so much. But he was jailed again in 1930 – this time for assault with intent to murder – and then again in 1939 for assault.

Read more at Heckerspray