Major Political Changes in the USA

method77

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High Court Weighs in on Assisted Suicide

WASHINGTON - Newly installed Chief Justice John Roberts on Wednesday sharply questioned a lawyer arguing for preservation of Oregon's physician-assisted suicide law, noting the federal government's tough regulation of addictive drugs.

The 50-year-old Roberts, hearing his first major oral argument since succeeding William H. Rehnquist at the helm of the court, seemed skeptical of the Oregon law, and the outcome of this case was as unclear after the argument as before.

At the outset, Roberts laid a barrage of questions on Oregon Senior Assistant Attorney General Robert Atkinson before he could finish his first sentence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_...ssisted_suicide

The rightwing Republicans and the White House are pushing to end assisted suicide--so much for believing in State's rights, or the rights of the individuals. Looks like newbie Roberts is far more conservative than he presented himself...but we will wait and see :reallymad: This should be a decision left to the individual and the family--government has no right getting involved

Indiana Considers Ban On Lesbian Pregnancies

(Indianapolis, Indiana) Legislation has been introduced in the Indiana legislature that would prohibit gays, lesbians and single people in Indiana from using medical science to assist them in having a child.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/10/100405birthBan.htm

George W. Bush sucks C**k. I think he is a total Joke. i am actually ashamed to be an american because he represents me..and all of you.. Everytime his face pops up and i catch it,i laugh.

Gore: 'How many of you, I wonder, have heard a friend or a family member in the last few years remark that it's almost as if America has entered "an alternate universe"?'

of those who pay attention to what's going on, who hasn't thought this shit since the supreme court fucked US all over back in 12/2000? it's depressing thinking that NOT ONE SENATOR stood up to challenge the rethug takeover, w/AL Gore being all mature and lawabiding, convening over the bullshit hearings, taking the high road &c. gah..i've posted this same thought so many times here and other places already...

this kills me :lol: 'there was a time when America's public discourse was consistently much more vivid, focused and clear. Our Founders, probably the most literate generation in all of history, used words with astonishing precision and believed in the Rule of Reason.

'Their faith in the viability of Representative Democracy rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry.'

*look! a missing white girl! and a blowjob's a more heinous crime than bullshitting about a war for nothing. all morons all the time. moving right along, he makes some excellent points but since hardly anyone here gives a shit, i won't go on.

Article about Bush and Palestinian negotiations:

According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.j...sID=0&listSrc=Y

Could it have been....Satan?

I cant believe this nut is running this country...

George Clooney on the News and Money:

"I have friends who run big companies and they talk about very disturbing things at times," explains Clooney, who won a best screenplay prize at the Venice Film Festival last month, for the script he co-wrote with Grant Heslov.

"Les Moonves [today's CBS chief] is a good friend of mine and has been talking about making television news a bit more like MTV and pepping it up. I don't envy his position, because he has to go back to shareholders and tell them that they're not going to make as much money from the news as they could. It's a constant battle between entertainment and news. And that's when it becomes dangerous."

http://www.thisislondon.com/films/articles...ning%20Standard

It's called stockholder journalism - and its corrupting this country

Rove to give leak testimony without immunity

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal prosecutors have accepted an offer from presidential adviser Karl Rove to give 11th hour testimony in the case of a CIA officer's leaked identity but have warned they cannot guarantee he won't be indicted, according to people directly familiar with the investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/06/cia...e.ap/index.html

:good job:

Democrats: New energy law a giveaway to oil industry

Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, speaking for the Democratic Party in its weekly radio address, criticized a Republican bill to help U.S. oil refineries that squeaked through the House by two votes Friday.

That legislation "provides billions more in tax breaks to the oil-refining industry, rolling back environmental laws unrelated to the nation's energy problems, but doing nothing to lower gas prices," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/08/dem...reut/index.html

DUH!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

.."The wind is not at our back, it's in our face," said Glen Bolger, a GOP pollster. "If you're a candidate making an assessment about challenging an incumbent, having wind in your face is clearly a negative factor in the decision."

Read the whole article here.http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-senate10oct10,1,7218573,print.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

About fuckin' time

September 15, 2005

Lautenberg: congratulations Halliburton and Vice President Cheney!

Cheney's Halliburton Stock Options Soar to $9.2 Million

WASHINGTON -- Senator Frank R. Lautenberg reiterated his call for Vice President Dick Cheney to forfeit his continuing financial interest in the Halliburton Co (HAL), in light of the surging value of Vice President Cheney's Halliburton holdings. Vice President Cheney continues to hold 433,333 Halliburton stock options, now worth $9,214,154.93 (at close yesterday.)

"As Halliburton's fortunes rise, so does the Vice President's, and that is wrong," said Senator Lautenberg. "Halliburton has already raked in more than $10 billion from the Bush-Cheney Administration for work in Iraq, and now they are being awarded some of the first Katrina contracts. It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it."

All of Vice President's Cheney's stock options are "in the money" for the first time in years. According to the Vice President's Federal Financial Disclosure forms, he holds the following Halliburton stock options:

100,000 shares at $54.5000 (vested), expire 12-03-07 33,333 shares at $28.1250 (vested), expire 12-02-08 300,000 shares at $39.5000 (vested), expire 12-02-09

The Vice President has attempted to fend off criticism by signing an agreement to donate the after-tax profits from these stock options to charities of his choice, and his lawyer has said he will not take any tax deduction for the donations. Valued at over $9 million, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial windfall, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a tax deduction.

The Vice President also continues to receive "deferred salary" from Halliburton. While in office, he has received the following salary payments from Halliburton:

Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2001: $205,298 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2002: $162,392 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2003: $178,437 Deferred salary paid by Halliburton to Vice President Cheney in 2004: $194,852

In September 2003, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) issued a memorandum to Senator Lautenberg concluding that holding stock options while in elective office does constitute a "financial interest" regardless of whether the holder of the options will donate proceeds to charities. CRS also found that receiving deferred compensation is a financial interest.

The CRS report can be downloaded at:

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/Report.pdf

The CRS findings contradict Vice President Cheney's puzzling view that he does not have a financial interest in Halliburton. On the September 14, 2003 edition of Meet the Press in response to questions regarding his relationship with Halliburton where he was employed as CEO for five years, from 1995 to 2000, Vice President Cheney said:

"And since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had, now, for over three years."

post-91-1129108426.jpg

Who would have ever thought that Dick Cheney was a liar.....

Apparently the American people have begun to suspect so...

Poll: Lying on Iraq as an impeachable offense

Congress should consider impeaching President Bush if he lied about his reasons for going to war in Iraq, according to half of the Americans surveyed in a recent poll.

The poll, commissioned by the After Downing Street Coalition, a loose aggregation of antiwar, Democratic and progressive groups, was conducted by the nonpartisan firm Ipsos Public Affairs U.S.

Here's how the question was put: "If President Bush did not tell the truth about his reasons for going to war with Iraq, Congress should consider holding him accountable by impeaching him."

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/ind...each/index.html

Focus of CIA Leak Probe

Appears to Widen

The New York Times reporter who went to jail to avoid testifying in the CIA leak case was quizzed by the special prosecutor again yesterday and has agreed to return to the grand jury today.

...There are signs that prosecutors now are looking into contacts between administration officials and journalists that took place much earlier than previously thought. Earlier conversations are potentially significant, because that suggests the special prosecutor leading the investigation is exploring whether there was an effort within the administration at an early stage to develop and disseminate confidential information to the press that could undercut former Ambassador Joseph Wilson and his wife, Central Intelligence Agency official Valerie Plame.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB112....html?mod=blogs

Bush: Religion factor in Miers pick

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush said Wednesday his advisers were telling conservatives about Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers' religious beliefs because they are interested in her background and "part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/12/miers.ap/index.html

Isn't picking someone based on thier religion for a job as discrimintatory as denying a job to a candidate based on thier beliefs? Is just me he is discriminating in open now?

:reallymad:

Isn't picking someone based on thier religion for a job as discrimintatory as denying a job to a candidate based on thier beliefs? Is just me he is discriminating in open now?

:reallymad:

What division between church and state?

Bush approval dips below 40 percent

NBC-WSJ poll shows only 28 percent believe U.S. headed in right direction

A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll finds thatjust 2 percent of African-Americans approve of his leadership. NBC’s Tim Russert — who called the number “a dramatic setback” — looked into it, and he could not “find a pollster who can remember any President ever getting just 2 percent approval from African-Americans.”

Along with the president's sinking popularity, the poll found that 48 percent of respondents want a "Democratic-controlled Congress," while 39 percent prefer Republicans to be in control -- a nine-point difference that's the "largest margin between the parties in eleven years."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9672058/#thing...ndinthebasement

And I’m free, free fallin’

Yeah I’m free, free fallin’

Free fallin’, now I’m free fallin’, now i’m

Free fallin’, now I’m free fallin’, now i’m

:lol:

Pentagon Denies Talk With Troops Was Staged

WASHINGTON — Pentagon officials are denying that a live video conference between President Bush (search) and U.S. troops in Iraq was staged.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172262,00.html

But some critics said the video conference was staged, referring to an on-camera shot of a Pentagon official shown coaching the soldiers.

So, who was the moron political appointee this time which let them TAPE that part? :lol:

Anti-American Sentiment May Hurt US Firms

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - Advertising executive Keith Reinhard has a message for U.S. companies: America's tarnished image may soon hurt your bottom lines.

Reinhard says growing anti-American sentiments and their impact on international sales aren't subjects corporations like to discuss publicly. But he says more executives are paying attention to warnings about shifting attitudes abroad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051014/ap_on_...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

No kidding - and we know why: GWB and DC

Bush approval hits 39%, lowest of his presidency

WASHINGTON — President Bush's job approval rating has slipped to 39%, the lowest measure of his presidency, according to a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll.

At the same time, job approval for Congress, which has a Republican majority, has fallen to 29%. That is its lowest level since 1994, the year Democrats lost control of the Senate and House of Representatives for the first time in 40 years.

The poll showed that 68% of Americans say they are dissatisfied with the way things are going in the country. That is the most negative assessment in nearly a decade.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...happroval_x.htm

US security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department aims without exception to expel all those who enter the United States illegally.

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/18/0...2.u9fj2ynj.html

So I guess a large percentage of maids, gardeners and fruit laborers are deemed

terrrorists now?

I think we should expel most of the Republicans from Washington, instead