Major Political Changes in the USA

method77

But I thought this was about Barack Obama's economic and health care policies? I don't know much about Bear Sterns, Enron and other corporations or what they've done so I can't really speak to that.

Your general thesis is that Obama will regulate industries and that this will be bad for the country. Your subset is that the government should not regulate.

I think regulation has its place and that government does to.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what you're really after is stronger anti corruption laws. That's fine.

We probably agree on more things than you think. However, I am not a fan of concentrated wealth in the hands of a few--or oligopolies. And you are not a fan of big governments. So we are each against "big' :lol:

Capping the Oil Industry's profit when they're all we got for energy for the next ten years would only make the price higher. We cannot regulate them unless we want to risk total economic collapse.

This guys suggests a different reason for the price hikes of oil

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/e.../2008/0502.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Washington Post reports that the recession is just beginning in the U.S.

"...Happy talk from the Fed and Wall Street desperate to get things back to normal. It ain't gonna happen. Not this summer. Not this fall. Not even next winter."

Read More

:sad:

The Fed rate cuts are BS... they are temporary fixes that weaken our dollar. Let the economy run its course and it will fix itself. It's a damn cycle! This reminds me of the Depression era and how they THOUGHT they were fixing the economy, but studies have proven that those "fixes" in fact, prolonged the Depression longer than if they would've just left it alone.

That is a depressing thought - I don't think it will get that bad, but if it does, I've learned to live on next to nothing, and to live well B)

I try my best to be optimistic, but I'm naturally a realist. If we don't change our way of thinking (quick fixes to look good politically, but bad overall), there will be more disputes, more arguments, and possibly another World War.

Tax rebate checks, gas tax freezing, etc are all crap. They do nothing for the long run but tell us to keep fueling the fire. They look good politically, but are not good for us.

I try my best to be optimistic, but I'm naturally a realist. If we don't change our way of thinking (quick fixes to look good politically, but bad overall), there will be more disputes, more arguments, and possibly another World War.

Tax rebate checks, gas tax freezing, etc are all crap. They do nothing for the long run but tell us to keep fueling the fire. They look good politically, but are not good for us.

I think the whole system needs restructured. The oligopolies have too much power, and the middle class is being squeezed to death--Wall Street and the banks have been given too much of a ride. Plus, we need to get the hell out of the Middle East, restructure our relationship with China, open the doors to Cuba... I could go on

...it's a big mess.

• 2 weeks later...
This whole thing was dumb. If the economy were sounder I would say let these banks fall flat on their faces. But at least now Henry Paulson can make the changes he wants without being interrupted.

We agree. The main investors are China and the Soviet Union - and that is why they need to prop up the banks.

The problem is that the idiots controlling them(They're both Federally run, what a surprise)kept on giving loans out to people with no income. And then when things go downhill, they use tax payer money to bail out shitty businesses. I'm glad it happened, honestly. The Fed, as much as I don't like it, was built for this reason(bail out bad business deals in times of uncertainty). They're going to work it out to where none of these companies are going to be able to have a safety net under them anymore again. You screw up, you pay the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Politics in this country has now evolved to the point that celebrities have been made part of the political campaign. How shameful is that?

McCain Compares Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears

Paris Hilton Replies

See more funny videos at Funny or Die

Obama Replies

The Progressive Ohio Org reports that "Congressman Dennis Kucinich delivered a petition bearing more than 100,000 names to the Speaker of the House urging that impeachment proceedings begin into the conduct of President Bush. …With new disclosures that the Administration tried to “cook the books at the CIA” by creating a phony, forged link between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, “We cannot step back and let this President escape accountability.”

If you are interested, you can join Dennis Kucinich by sighing his petition to impeach Bush right HERE

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis Kucinich addressing the Democratic National Convention:

"We cannot afford another Republican administration," Kucinich said. "Wake up, America; the insurance companies took over health care. Wake up, America; the pharmaceutical companies took over drug pricing. Wake up, America; the speculators took over Wall Street. ... Wake up, America; we went into Iraq for oil."

See the speech