Where Will You Be Christmas Day?

DudeAsInCool

Where Will You Be Christmas Day?, curated by ace musicologist Dick Spottswood (and based loosely on his Washington, D.C. radio show), is the latest release from Atlanta's fledgling Dust-to-Digital, the same label that produced the mind-blowingGoodbye, Babylon box late last year. And much like Goodbye, Babylon, this record will leave you wondering why the 1960s are the years everyone always gets so mournfully nostalgic for. Charming, challenging, and endlessly captivating, Where Will You Be Christmas Day? is the kind of quasi-seasonal anthology that you'll totally dig out in July, popsicles and all, suddenly craving (if not requiring) its quiet, unmatched grace.

Drawing heavily from early American folk, jazz, and blues (and incorporating classic holiday songs from the Ukraine, Italy, Trinidad, and Puerto Rico), the tracks included here date from 1917 to 1959, and represent an impressive spectrum of vocal styles, stretching from four-note sacred harp hooting to brash, mid-century gospel. Consequently, Where Will You Be Christmas Day? is compelling simply as an anthropological peek, a crackly glimpse at secular traditions-in-the-making-- but all Smithsonian-geekiness aside, the music itself is more than satisfying, loaded with plenty of fresh, regional glee. Delta-blues gurus Lightnin' Hopkins and Lead Belly each contribute tracks, as do The Alabama Sacred Harp Singers, Fiddlin' John Carson and His Virginia Reelers, Butterbeans and Susie, The Cotton Top Mountain Sanctified Singers, Los Jibaros, Kansas City Kitty, Bessie Smith, and 14 others-- even the tracklisting reads like poetry.http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-revie...stmas-day.shtml

post-74-1102218676.gif

I plan to get me a cross and nail myself to it out in front of my local church.

However, I plan to urinate on the church walls beforehand, in plain sight.

I was also thinking of a Holy Bible full of feces, but I don't feel like going all out this year.

the 1960s are the years everyone always gets so mournfully nostalgic for.

i don't.

i don't.

me either.....the 60`s just remind me of how old i am...and where ever i am i`ll make damn sure that it`s not at the same church that ken`s going to be at..........i enjoy and look forward to christmas and so does my family and so do my friends...3 christmas trees at our place this year.....there are many disadvantaged kids in our town and my family always puts on a party for them at xmas....I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!

post-74-1102281160.gif

Edited by kiwibank

very nice, kiwibank. i love christmas decorations as long as they're tasteful (NOT huge plastic santas on rooftops dressed in the stars and stripes, like i saw over and over two years ago).

christmas day i should be in Scotland visiting Nomad and Alma. :)

I will be at the sink, in the kitchen, in the fridge.

At the toilet trying to help my father to get back to the room.

My husband's birthday is december 25th. Mine is 23th.

Everybody is dropping by, in between meals.

:duck hunt: :shootin:

I HATE IT and I wish it was the 1st of januar.